how much do pickup and bridge covers limit your options for right hand technique

poomwah

• Members

I absolutely love the look of a j bass with the chrome covers. but I was looking at pictures, and wondering , do they get in the way of finger picking? it looks like they'd really get in the way of playing with a pick. I know they have the finger rest for the old old school thumb picking days. what are your experiences?

• Members

They do get in the way a little bit (especially when you slap...and hit one on accident...OUCH!) But they're vintage on my 60s jazz and so I just can't take them off. Once you get used to it they're really not that inhibiting. You just learn to play around them.

• Members

They do get in the way a little bit (especially when you slap...and hit one on accident...OUCH!) But they're vintage on my 60s jazz and so I just can't take them off. Once you get used to it they're really not that inhibiting. You just learn to play around them.

I'd do the same thing if I had a vintage bass, but otherwise I'm not a fan. They do look cool on certain basses, but I found they got in my way.

• Members

It really depends on your playing style. Where and how do you hold your right hand on the bass when you are playing? If the pickup covers will cover that, or those areas, you will obviously have a problem.

I can't handle them at all myself. I adjust the placement and technique on my right hand around quite a bit.

• Members

I hate them, and having played Kindness' Ric I couldn't ever stand having them on. I vary my picking/plucking hand position a lot when I play for various tones, and those covers are nothing but a huge hinderence to me. They serve absolutely no purpose but a visual statement, that I also think looks hideous. No thanks. Oh, and if you take them off then you have razor sharp pickup surrounds like the Ric or screw holes all over the top of your bass like Fenders. More reasons to hate those stupid things. :mad:

Archived