[potstirring] would you install GPS tracking in the car your teenager drives?

allan grossman

• Members

As a single person with no children at the moment, I'd say that my answer would be "yes," motivated by one of two things:

1) Put a GPS tracker on the car if there's something suspicious going on, just to check.

2) Put a GPS tracker on the car as a fun science/boredom experience. With my penchant for Google Earth, this could be a heck of a lot more fun! :thu:

• Members

Hell no. Whatever crap box they'll be driving won't deserve it! Neither will they for that matter. I didn't have GPS and I turned out plenty fine. I even learned an extra skill in life because of it...reading a map.

People baby their kids too much these days. They're going to make mistakes...it's your job to make them learn from those mistakes.

• Members

Only if I had been a failure as a parent and was not able to rear my children in a way so as to trust them. If they could not be honest with me or I had reason to beleive they were not going where they said they were, then I'd just ground them and park the vehicle. This way is much cheaper and will help the child grow up to be more responsible... IMO...

• Members

Way to not even give a proper response to your own thread.....:poke:

:D

Yes, because my primary responsibility is to keep a kid safe. I'd spot check once in awhile, but my motto is still "trust but verify". Unless the kid proved to be less than trustworthy I probably wouldn't look all that often.

• Members

Only if I had been a failure as a parent and was not able to rear my children in a way so as to trust them. If they could not be honest with me or I had reason to beleive they were not going where they said they were, then I'd just ground them and park the vehicle. This way is much cheaper and will help the child grow up to be more responsible... IMO...

+1.

• Members

No.

I feel that if a teen is able to drive, then they are of an age where they can take responsibility for their actions, and employ good judgment in making driving decisions. This is a somewhat idealistic view, but it's the only way for kids to really learn how to operate effectively as a driver once they start, IMO. You're raising an adult, and by that time, the kid needs to start taking on some adult behaviors and responsibilities.

Of course, some other ground rules need to be established, but installing a GPS tracker is going too far, IMO.

• Members

Yes, because my primary responsibility is to keep a kid safe. I'd spot check once in awhile, but my motto is still "trust but verify". Unless the kid proved to be less than trustworthy I probably wouldn't look all that often.

I would treat my hypothetical kid exactly the same way. In fact, the most likely use of it, to me, would probably be as a means of locating my kid and reaching them if there was an emergency and for some reason a phone call wasn't working.

• Members

Kids can get in a lot of trouble without being dishonest or untrustworthy.

Archived