hand training device?

eris23007

• Members

Anybody know of a small (i.e. portable) device useful for training both STRENGTH AND FLEXIBILITY in the hands?

http://www.amazon.com/Gripmaster-Exerciser-Tension-9-Pounds-Finger/dp/B0006GCBL4

That seems pretty good for strength, but I'm betting there's better stuff out there. For one, I wonder how useful it would be for building guitar-style grip strength as opposed to drum-style or golf-club-style grip strength (i.e., this sucker looks good for using the palm as a base, not so much for using the thumb...).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• Members

Of course playing's the best, there was never any doubt.

However... I sit at a desk and in a lot of meetings during most days. Having one of these or something like it around would be handy.

Anyone know of anything better than the gripmaster, or is that just the way to go?

• Members

Thanks for the advice, but "just play" and "you should practice" is not helpful in the context of my situation. I cannot practice while at my desk or in meetings at work. However, something small I can conceivably keep around and take advantage of in such situations to build hand strength could be quite useful.

Let me reiterate - I do not intend to use such a device as a SUBSTITUTE for practice, just a SUPPLEMENT!

• Members

Actually I believe what the others have said to be helpful. If you work on it all day at work you may overtrain and actrually hamper your progress. Use work as a rest time for when you do practice with bass in hand. Ya don't hear trainers at gyms telling clients to work out all day every day.:thu:

• Members

Those things are fantastic if you're wanting to build hand strength for rock climbing. Seriously, I used to sell them to rock climbers all the time. (I live near the rockies)

For stuff to do at your desk, try touching your thumb to each finger in succession as fast as you can go, mix up the pattern, etc.

Then lay your fingers tips flat on the edge of the table (kind of like you're playing your desk like a piano) then do some finger patterns as well. first touch your two outside fingers to the desk then switch to the inside two fingers. Then the peace sign/ ring and pinky. Then pinky and middle finger/ ring and index. etc. etc. Try to do these as fast as you can.

Hold your hands in tight to your body in a prayer position then twist slowly so that your hands point down then back up again. This should help stretch out your forearms and wrists. I do several reps of those a day. Slowly and carefully as possible.

These are the things I do to build strength/ dexterity when I'm not playing.

• Members

Thanks, bassgirl9, that's really helpful. I actually used to live near the rockies myself (I grew up in Boulder, CO). Not a day goes by I don't miss the Front Range.

Your welcome. I had one of those exercisers, but I found it made me grip the neck too hard when I played.

I hear Boulder is beautiful.

• Members

You don't want "strong" fingers.

You want faster fingers. I can't see one of those being very useful for bass unless your bass's action is too high.

Strength has everything to do with speed.

also finger cordination will also help to develop both speed and strength.

and yes practice is the best way to develop coordination, speed and strength.

[YOUTUBE]TBJrTsNZVaw[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

So it'd help Optimus Prime then??
:lol:

My fingers are plenty strong for how high my strings are, I have no problems fretting notes. The neck has recently started bowing forward to much, I need to get it setup again, ~$20 I don't have. I bet I could take almost anyone here in a finger strength competition.

Archived