New Strings

PaulyWally

• Members

You use tiny little TI strings on those other little 4-bangers, don't you?

Those aren't going to fit on my bass. :confused:

Oh!! You mean that the store will carry Thomastik bass strings too! I get it! :D

I don't remember, but I don't think they stock T's for electric instruments. Just bowed instruments. I'll check when I go shopping for strings.

• Members

i hate regular D'addarios... i love the D'addarios Prosteels, though

The pro steels feel like you're rubbing your fingers on the edge of a dull knife. I bought a set once. Once...

I'd go with flats of some sort. You might want to think about tapewounds, like LaBella. They feel and sound great, and I think might have the sound you're looking for.

• Members

A little more thud than your D'Addarios--Fender Nickel rounds

a little more--D'Addario Chromes flats

a little more--Fender flats

I have never seen TI Flats in any guitar stores. Only online.

I wouldn't really put them in the thump category. They are unique. Excellent, but not really thumpy.

• Members

The correct answer is D'Addario Half Rounds. I have them on two basses now. They have a little more thud than rounds, but not so totally dead like flats.

Good suggestion. If you get a set of Half Rounds, it may take a while to get used to the way they feel. Once you do, they will fit in exactly with what you are looking for.

• Members

Straight to the expensive ones... huh?
:)

Does GC carry Thomastiks? I'm not sure. I didn't want to have to order them.

Haven't tried Elixers yet. I've been a D'Addario guy most of my life.

When I ordered my Thomastiks I got them in like two days.

• Members

Based on what I'm reading, I'm thinking Fender flats is what I want. I'd like to try the halvsies... but I think they're just going to have too much zing for what I'm looking for.

So... now the question is... should I go for the Fender tapewounds? Or just regular flats?

• Moderators

Good suggestion. If you get a set of Half Rounds, it may take a while to get used to the way they feel. Once you do, they will fit in exactly with what you are looking for.

This and TIs were my initial thoughts. Remember though, my ears don't love some of what you really like.

• Members

Chromes......

This is an excellent choice, and a good one for someone just coming into the world of flats.

I like Chromes on a Jazz over TI Flats on a Jazz. The TIs are so middy, it sort of erases the "scoop" that Jazz Basses are so famous for. imo, of course.

• Moderators

This is an excellent choice, and a good one for someone just coming into the world of flats.

I like Chromes on a Jazz over TI Flats on a Jazz. The TIs are so middy, it sort of erases the "scoop" that Jazz Basses are so famous for. imo, of course.

What scoop? :confused:

Archived