shipping a bass, how and how much?

poomwah

• Members

Get a FedEx/UPS account online, or prepare for the bend-over treatment from your local kioske.

Shipping a bass usually costs me, with pickup, about $50.

Yikes, that's expensive! I recently shipped a Schecter 5 in a gig bag double boxed from WI to OR for $34 via FedEx Ground insured. That one I dropped off at the local FedEx hub. The G&L 4 that I shipped ground & insured from WI to OK from my wife's work on their UPS account, again in a gig bag and double boxed, cost a whopping $17.

To save money, box it yourself and take it to a local hub, not a UPS Store or a FedEx/Kinkos. You'll get raped if you do.

• Members

Yikes, that's expensive! I recently shipped a Schecter 5 in a gig bag double boxed from WI to OR for $34 via FedEx Ground insured. That one I dropped off at the local FedEx hub. The G&L 4 that I shipped ground & insured from WI to OK from my wife's work on their UPS account, again in a gig bag and double boxed, cost a whopping $17.

To save money, box it yourself and take it to a local hub, not a UPS Store or a FedEx/Kinkos. You'll get raped if you do.

That's why I said including pickup, which is $12... silly. :p

• Members

everything else I've ever shipped I went throught the post office, but I just put the weight and size on their postage calculator. Some guy on ebay asked how much shipping would be from ohio to washington state. usps came up with 127 dollars... what the hell??

• Members

I shipped a LeCompte, cost me $100. I didn't have a choice but to use a shipping store, have them build a box around it's HSC, and shipped it insured for it's full value. It's a lot of money, but for a valuable, irreplaceable bass it's not unreasonable.

• Members

I have an online account with DHL. It normally costs me no more than 30-35 bucks to ship. I hold onto boxes from basses I get in (so I have a lot:D), and use that. I always ship in a hard case so that I don't really have to worry about bulking up the box with packing materials. Always use bubble wrap and make sure to have a tight fit so the bass doesn't slide around inside the case or box.

Dan

• Members

everything else I've ever shipped I went throught the post office, but I just put the weight and size on their postage calculator. Some guy on ebay asked how much shipping would be from ohio to washington state. usps came up with 127 dollars... what the hell??

Because they aren't designed to carry large boxes and they charge you for taking up lots of space. The only time USPS works (costwise) for basses is for shipping overseas. It's normally the cheapest route.

Dan

Archived