Spector Legend basses??

burnthiscorpse

• Members

i do like the LTD's . have had a B104 and a sweet B304 both long ago. I dont mind a little extra on the back of the neck as long as it doesnt ad to the width. I briefly owned a spector rex that had a killer neck on it. if the legend necks are anything like that im sold

Legends are nice basses, but they are gateway Spectors. Get a legend, then you'll want a Rebop, then you'll be GASsing all over Ebay, trying to score a cheap NS 2........

• Members

They're not THAT cheap, I like mine alot. The only thing I want to change on it is the pickups, because I want a super hot output, and EMG HZ's aren't the hottest pickups.

C7

Agreed - that's the only complaint I have about my Spector - it's output is significantly lower than my 4 stringers(although they're all pretty hot)... I'm digging the Spector tone and playability, though...

- georgestrings

• Members

Anyone used one of the Czech made "Euro" Spectors? They look like a good bridge between the Legend's and the US Spectors.

I've got an older Czech made NS4CRFM - before they rebranded them as "Euro", a few differences, but I couldn't ask for anything more in a bass. Very happy with it.

I'm not even sure how it could be improved to the US model, and justify the huge price jump.

• Members

I've got an older Czech made NS4CRFM - before they rebranded them as "Euro", a few differences, but I couldn't ask for anything more in a bass. Very happy with it.

I'm not even sure how it could be improved to the US model, and justify the huge price jump.

Well, for one I heard the decal that says "made in USA" costs a fortune...at least 1500 bucks!

Maybe if they just leave that decal off it would be cheaper. :idk:

:D

• Members

Anyone used one of the Czech made "Euro" Spectors? They look like a good bridge between the Legend's and the US Spectors.

The Czech made basses are fantastic.

My experiences with the Legend basses were less than great. They were okay, but really didn't do anything for me.

• Members

own two of the older czech basses here and they are awesome - ns4cr with all emg p/j pups and pre - ns5crfm with 40dc soapbard originally had the aguilar pre but I switched it out for the emg bts

both basses are just incredible in the sound and playability department, dead quiet for recording too - come standard with schaller strap buttons and tuners - very thick and resonant, tons of impact and pleasing midrange qualities in the tone - only downside might be the weight due to the all maple construction aside from the rosewood fretboard - as spector says, these basses are built to last a lifetime

• Members

I have a 5 string Euro ReBop, and just won a 4 string Euro ReBop on ebay. Very pleased with the 5; lightweight, dead quiet, excellent B string. Those Czechs know their basses. I would recommend a used Euro--can be had for $400-500.

Now I'm interested in a P/J Spector to round out the group.

Perhaps I am just following the Prophecy of Funkee1???

• Members

I have had a NS4CRFM and still have a NS5CRFM. They are both fantastic. The 5er is a little more versatile than the 4. If I were only interested in hard rock/metal or funk, the 4-string would be great. Its easy as can be to get those late 80's/early 90's AIC and Queensryche style growly tones. The 5er can get those tones, but the sound is a little more well rounded and can be used for any number of genres. I think the EMG DC pickups are a big reason for the difference, they have a deeper, smoother sound than the EMG P/J set while still having plenty of growl and bite.

• Members

Agreed - that's the only complaint I have about my Spector - it's output is significantly lower than my 4 stringers(although they're all pretty hot)... I'm digging the Spector tone and playability, though...

- georgestrings

The Legend feels PERFECT in my hands, but for some reason it just doesn't cut through in the mids like I want it to, especially if the strings aren't super new. The A and D strings basically disappear if I don't boost the mids on the bass.

I talked to Carey Nordstrand about it, and he said that he's done dozens of replacements of the EMG HZ's for people with all kinds of basses, because they're basically garbage, and have a pathetic output level. For a couple hundo I could upgrade to his pickups wound hot, which is tempting because if I were to do that, I wouldn't need another bass. As it stands, I feel like I want to ditch my Legend based solely on the low output level.

C7

• Members

Hey Darkmetl. Is that blue one the "black and blue" stain? Ive been looking around for that color and cant find a pic of it. None of the basses on the website are listed in that color (but it is listed as a standard color for them) and none of the music store websites seem to have it either. Couldnt even find anything with google image search. Thanks for any info you can throw my way.

• Members

The color is just a transparent blue with quilt top...I'll see if I can get a good pic of it.

100_0325.jpg' alt='>'>

BTW, I really dont mind the EMG HZ pickups, perhaps its because these basses have an active tone circuit in them that gives it quite a boost. These seem really hot.

• Members

BTW, I really dont mind the EMG HZ pickups, perhaps its because these basses have an active tone circuit in them that gives it quite a boost. These seem really hot.

Thats a really nice pic. All those basses look great. I like the blue one best colorwise. Im going to put the word out though....can anyone find a pic or have a pic of the blue and black stain thats listed on spectors site? I cant find a bass with it. Thanks in advance.

• Members

sorry for hijacking, but how are the performers? and could you get that queensryche tone out of one? I know he played euros and rebops

The performers are not much to write home about. The ReBops hadn't been invented when Eddie Jackson was playing. They are relatively new. Eddie Jackson played an NS 2, I believe.

Archived