Sapele wood

PiotreX

• Members

Never came across that bass, but Sapele wood is a type of Mahogany, usually associated with being fairly dense and some ribbon in the figure. If you were to put a gloss finish on that, you would see some interesting depth I would wager. I would post a pic of my Skjold with a Sapele wood body but apparenlty I have never taken a pic of the back before.

• Members

Yep, in a solidbody instrument, it's pretty much going to have the same characteristics as "regular" mahogany. In fact, it's common to see everyday mahogany called sapele to add a "whooo" factor. It's very hard to tell from the one pic, but the instrument you've shown may be one of those.

As far as the pickups - those look like Bill Lawrence, yes? If so, and your system is active, they are VERY hot pups with tons of growl - nice. However, not good for slap or aggressive playing due to the fact that strings hitting the bars/poles produces a nasty "clack". If your playing style is clean, and you want a sound that cuts through well, they're great.

• Members

It's actually got a whole mega combo. See it's like this:

1. I've no clue as to the origin of the pickups. The seller hasn't replied to my queries.

2. There's three pickups. The neck is set up as a humbucker. The middle H is set up as two single coils that can be turned on and off separately. The third has a wood cover, and is a single pup.

3. Lots of wierd switches and knobs :)

4. It's active, but I don't know what type of preamp

5. Wilkinson bridge. Any good? pic below

301745056_2

Edit:

My bad, the Preamp is from an Ibanez btb qm 405

• Members

OK. I talked to the owner. He said everything was fine. So I "bought it now" for 600z?. that's around $240 at the moment. But considering the $ being low as hell, it's the equivalent of the cheapest Cort bass I could get. I'll be filling you in when it gets here :)

• Members

sapele grows in africa....mahogany grows in south america....sapele is often refered to as "african mahogany". it has a very similar tonal quality (meaning dumb bass players like me can't hear the dif) and is most often chosen instead of 'hog because it's less expensive than the "real thing"

• Members

It has arrived :] Darn it's heavy!! It's not the prettiest piece of wood, and I need to change the strings (it has 3 D'a nickels and one dead steel). i haven't mastered the mid boost controls yet and some of the switches (there's 4) are still a mystery to me ;)

As to the state of the instrument, it's used. The frets are a bit worn, the body has been repainted in some places, it's half matte I would say. The pups are custom made. I believe there's a piezzo pup hidden somewhere so theres 4 pickups in all :p it's got two outputs. The original Neutrik from the Ibanez preamp, and a mono output that bypasses the preamp. all in all it's fun, but a whole lot different than anything I've encountered. The sound is outside the box ;) Not P, not J, not soapbar... different. and HEAVY!!! :D

Needs to buy:

1. Wide strap

2. Nickels (any suggestions?)

3. better cable

4. new batteries (it's 18V)

5. heavy duty stand :D

• Members

Just came back from practice... and let me tell you... it's just great! I can dial in so many different tones and sounds that every song means turning knobs to get the desired sound. The sound ranges from grinding to thumping pbass sounds through nicely or extremely growling jazz sounds and all the way into outer space :) I'll be posting more pics when I get the chance to take some. Lots of stuff to learn and projects to finish at the moment. Till then! :)

Archived