When you guys buy from MF or a chain store...

Thrashterpiece

• Members

Never. Mainly out of spite at Best Buy because when buying an appliance there you can be guaranteed to be asked if you want their extended warranty at least 10 times from 5 different people as you walk through the fricken store.

I try to go in, keep my head down, don't make eye contact with any employee and try to get out as quickly as I can. Also, manufacturers have warranties on their items.

• Members

as a former employee of guitar center, i say dont waste your money. if the item you buy doesnt crap out after thirty days, it should be fine for a while. and most manufacturers have decent warranties that cover defects in manufacturing for at least 6 months. and when you do try to get something done under the extended warranty, it takes forever, since its just a hassle to the sales guy.

my .02

• Members

as a former employee of guitar center, i say dont waste your money. if the item you buy doesnt crap out after thirty days, it should be fine for a while. and most manufacturers have decent warranties that cover defects in manufacturing for at least 6 months. and when you do try to get something done under the extended warranty, it takes forever, since its just a hassle to the sales guy.

my .02

thanks for the info.

• Members

my .02

The only exception I have to this is Cymbals.

My kid breaks them all the time (or did until I bought a Roland V-drum setup).

He goes through brass like a M-60 gunner. we used to just keep a rotating stock of A-Customs and would pretty much alsways have on in the return cycle. For the cost of the performance guarantee, you get a new cymbal every few nomths.

• Moderators

The only exception I have to this is Cymbals.

My kid breaks them all the time (or did until I bought a Roland V-drum setup).

He goes through brass like a M-60 gunner. we used to just keep a rotating stock of A-Customs and would pretty much alsways have on in the return cycle. For the cost of the performance guarantee, you get a new cymbal every few nomths.

Months? :eek:

My drummers keep cymbals for decades...

• Members

Extended Warranties are incredibly high profit items for the stores. That should tell you something.

Save your money. Learn how to setup/fix it yourself.

Some credit card companies will extend the manufacturer's warranty if you use their card.

There really isn't any extended warranty that is worth purchasing. Many here will have anecdotal examples contradicting this, but consumer groups who have done the research recommend skipping them entirely.

• Members

You also have to look at it this way, how much would it cost to repair something after the manufacturers warranty has expired vs. have an extended warranty. Usually the repair costs less than the warranty would on many items. Plus the money is in YOUR pocket until the time that a repair is needed, if ever. If it's never needed, then you pocket the money. If you buy the extended warranty, the money is gone...regardless if you need a repair or not.

Archived