anyone in hawaii?

rikshaw

• Members

Was on Big Island about 2 weeks ago. That didnt suck. This snow and subzero temps back here DO suck though.

i've heard that its in the 80's. i really don't like that. i prefer the cold.

edit: weather channel has it in the upper 70's. i don't like that either

• Members

Went there once when I was younger. My god it was beautiful. But then again I was a kid and it was for vacation. We were on the island of Kauai. It rained a bit every morning but was beautiful in the day/night. I dont have one bad thing to say about it but then again Ive never seen the "real" Hawaii. I hear its very expensive. I had a family member out there for military purposes and I heard that milk and toilet paper were insanely high compared to here. Like 6 bucks a gallon (or roll) each. I guess its to be expected since almost everything has to be shipped in. I still dream about getting to go there again someday though.

• Members

Yep. I spent a whole day at the Arizona Memorial, the Sub Museum (which I barely got to see) and the Mighty Mo. All good stuff.

The Sunsets over the harbor are really nice as well.

pearlharborsunset.jpg

thats really pretty.

i'm going to skip all of the military stuff. i've been in or working for the navy for my entire life. i understand the history but i'm to the point where when i punch out for the day, i need to get away.

• Members

thats really pretty.

i'm going to skip all of the military stuff. i've been in or working for the navy for my entire life. i understand the history but i'm to the point where when i punch out for the day, i need to get away.

I can see that...

But I will say the Pearl Harbor stuff is really moving. I didn't expect to be affected by it as much as I was (particularly by the crews manning the rails).

The Arizona stuff in particular. The Mighty Mo is just {censored}ing cool :D

• Members

Some Big Island pics from a week or two ago:

100_1366.jpg' alt='>'>

100_1370.jpg' alt='>'>

Kiluea Caldera volcano crater:

100_1380.jpg' alt='>'>

100_1322.jpg' alt='>'>

100_1439.jpg' alt='>'>

Snow caps amongst palm trees!

100_1444.jpg' alt='>'>

100_1384.jpg' alt='>'>

Lava Fields:

100_1460.jpg' alt='>'>

100_1366.jpg' alt='>'>

It was between 75-80 degrees about everyday with some daily morning/overnight rain. It really only has about a 10 degree swing between summer and winter.

Milk is crazy high, about $6-7 a gallon, gas was about the same price as Chicago..maybe a bit less actually ($3.50ish a gal), orange juice was super expensive, these things might change a bit from island to island though.

• Members

^^^^^

Hell yeah! But, very little accessible lava at the moment. One nearly abandoned subdivision does have some danger of being overrun with lava (about 1-2 miles away at this point).

The other problem is that Kilauea doesn't erupt :D

It (like all Hawaiian volcanoes) is a shield Volcano. The name Kilauea translates to something along the lines of "much spewing", since the lava just keeps belching up...:D

• Members

Go by the University on Friday after 5pm. There are usually plenty of professors, students, and locals hanging out and drinking outside. Cool place to meet people.

It's not in Honolulu (but then again, nothing is really far away in Oahu), but go to the Valley of the Temples (I think that's what it's called).

Archived