Anyone use Turbo Tax to file?

no-logic

• Members

My wife and I have used a tax service since when we had our own business. We quit the business in 2000 and have continued to use the same people. It cost us $175 a year to use them. We are thinking about using Turbo Tax because we don't have many deductions anymore other than our mortgage interest and my wife's school expenses. Does anyone use Turbo Tax? Pro? Cons?

• Members

That's what I had in mind was using the online version.

As I say, we've used it now for the past 3 tax seasons and it's worked out quite well.

It's a total step by step process and they ask a TON of things, all available from your forms. Then it electronically files for you, deposits it into your bank account and you're done. They take the fee from your return, if you get one. All in all, I think it's a very reasonable fee for what they do.

• Members

I'd give a thumbs up for TurboTax. I've used it for the past 5 years or so and it's been really good. The last couple of years my taxes were very complex, and TurboTax walks me through everything. It checks and rechecks everything so all your bases are covered. It also has ways to check deductions and stuff that you might miss otherwise. It's excellent in that it keeps track of things year to year (especially depreciation schedules if you have those sorts of deductions) - each successive year you use it gets easier and easier as you simply import the previous year and go from there. All in all, a fine bit of software.

Downsides? The main thing is that TurboTax's marketing is a bit "aggressive". Once you are in their system, they push pretty hard to keep you there, and they use some tactics that kinda piss me off. But it's still easy enough to ignore. Also, there are a few semi-hidden costs (such as a charge to e-file) but it's still way cheaper than going to a tax accountant.

I so go for it. Good luck, dz.

• Members

So do most of you buy it on CD or just use the download from the website? Just wondering how it would remember your info for last year if you use the website version. (Probably a dumb question....)

Either way works fine. I prefer to buy the CD whenever I get new software, but I can't tell you there's any good reason to do so. One of those tricky marketing things that TurboTax does goes like this though - once you've used the software once, then the following year they mail you the full package CD, saying something along the lines of "Here's your FREE software". Of course, it is free to load on to your computer, do your taxes and everything, but you have to buy/register it before you can actually print out or e-file. All it really does is saves you a trip to the store to pick up the latest version. Still, it's convenient, just recognize it for what it is.

NOTE to willsellout - uh, hey man, can I borrow some cash from ya?

• Members

No Turbo Tax this year.

I use Windows 2000 and it won't work on anything less than SP4. I'm not upgrading for a stupid tax program.

We're switching to H&R Tax software this year.

XP really isn't all that bad. Really. Your OS is nearly 9 years old. Worth the upgrade.

• Members

No Turbo Tax this year.

I use Windows 2000 and it won't work on anything less than SP4. I'm not upgrading for a stupid tax program.

We're switching to H&R Tax software this year.

Yeah, I like to hand on to OS's that seem to be fine too. I refuse to upgrade when it's working perfectly for me. Which is why I'm still on AmigaDos (:freak:)

But seriously, we're mainly talking about the online, Web Turbotax...which you should be able to use fine in Windows 2000.

Also, it's time to upgrade your computer and OS. I mean, come on....give up the ghost.

• Members

Also, it's time to upgrade your computer and OS. I mean, come on....give up the ghost.

What for? It does everything I need.

I don't do games, digital audio, video, etc. Nothing that requires higher horsepower.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm not interested in keeping up with the Joneses.

• Members

I just filed with Turbo tax. It took 30 minutes and I'm getting 6 grand back!

Dan

Free basses all around! :D

I use HR Block's website filing system... That's probably some in-house program they made, but I'm sure it's about the same as turbo tax. Easy and quick.

• Members

What for? It does everything I need.

I don't do games, digital audio, video, etc. Nothing that requires higher horsepower.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm not interested in keeping up with the Joneses.

Well, for one it's not maintained anymore. But hey, if you're happy, who is anyone to tell you you're wrong.

But like I said, you could use the web version of Turbotax with no problems I'm sure. I've used the web version for the past 3 tax seasons, not including this one.

Archived