NBD - Attn Fitzwell, Burdi and other scooterists

78pbass

• Members

I gots me a new ride:

2002 Yamaha FZ1 with 10k on the clock. I plan on ST'ing it out with bags and other farkles.

Here's what she came with

Yoshimura slip on.

Holeshot jet kit

Holeshot Timing advance kit

Zero Gravity dark windshield

New Pilot Road tires

second horn for more volume

12 volt accessory plug for GPS, phone charge, radar detector, etc.

Hyperlite flashing brake lights for added visibility

Vista Cruise Throttle control

Overall she's great for the first 50 or so miles i put on today. I'm so happy to have a bike manufactured in the same decade we're currently in!!!

• Members

You guys post pics of yours and I'll throw up a pic of the Yamaha Venture I just scored for $500....deal?

edit: Whoah....the pics didn't show in your post when I first looked at it, 78Pbass....weird! That is a SWEET machine!

Here's mine:

v2sn2.jpg

I sold my FJ last year and picked up a dual-sport 600cc and have been tooling that around and doing a bunch of dirt riding, but lately have been jonesing for something a little more comfy at 70 mph...saw this on Craigslist for $500 and jumped on it....

• Members

You guys post pics of yours and I'll throw up a pic of the Yamaha Venture I just scored for $500....deal?

edit: Whoah....the pics didn't show in your post when I first looked at it, 78Pbass....weird! That is a SWEET machine!

Here's mine:

I sold my FJ last year and picked up a dual-sport 600cc and have been tooling that around and doing a bunch of dirt riding, but lately have been jonesing for something a little more comfy at 70 mph...saw this on Craigslist for $500 and jumped on it....

That Venture's awesome. for $500 especially. I will have a full bag tourer someday. Oh, and a DP, and a...and a...and a...

• Members

Awesome, have you taken the MSF BRC yet? If not, do it now if youre a new rider. Otherwise, welcome to the fray!

i took the local motorcycle safety course. it was good enough to get my license, an insurance discount, and will let me get it on the navy base. i'm still a total noob but that will change when it starts to warm up.

• Members

Ah, yeah...terrific bike, from what I've heard...and Honda makes all the goodies to make that baby a long-range cruiser too, don't they?

i got it right at 1000 miles. the guys wife wouldn't let him ride it and then complained that he had to sell it because he didn't ride it.

:eek:

• Members

i got it right at 1000 miles. the guys wife wouldn't let him ride it and then complained that he had to sell it because he didn't ride it.

:eek:

Huh.....women......:rolleyes::freak:

I rode the 750cc version of that bike a couple of years ago, and it was underwhelming, to say the least...the ride was good, handling was ok, but I would never consider riding anywhere 2-up on that 750....I'm sure the 1100 has MORE than enough power, though! I've heard good things about them...

• Members

I have no doubt!! Do you ever get a chance to unleash that beast?

Now and then, gotta keep the dust out of the pipes.;) Actually the past two seasons I haven't ridden hardly at all, and about 80% of the miles on it were from the first year and a half. It's not as quick as 78's new FZ, but it's still ungodly fast and the best handling all around street bike I've ever come across. I will ride more this summer though!

• Members

Now and then, gotta keep the dust out of the pipes.
;)
Actually the past two seasons I haven't ridden hardly at all, and about 80% of the miles on it were from the first year and a half. It's not as quick as 78's new FZ, but it's still ungodly fast and the best handling all around street bike I've ever come across. I will ride more this summer though!

Was a HUGE shock to me when I test-rode this Venture...I actually had to stop the bike in a McDonald's parking lot and cell a friend of mine that rides a Gold Wing and ask him if that is the way they are supposed to turn and handle...coming from the FJ1100 to the Venture is a chasm's-worth of handling difs....you have to plan your manuvers 'WAY ahead on a heavier cruiser.....

• Members

Was a HUGE shock to me when I test-rode this Venture...I actually had to stop the bike in a McDonald's parking lot and cell a friend of mine that rides a Gold Wing and ask him if that is the way they are supposed to turn and handle...coming from the FJ1100 to the Venture is a chasm's-worth of handling difs....you have to plan your manuvers
'WAY
ahead on a heavier cruiser.....

I remember the first time I rode a Venture too, it was a shock. I learned real fast that you need to plan a LOT of stopping distance too on those bad boys, you sure can't ride them like the bikes I was used too. I really loved that Venture though, they're excellent bikes. The big FJ is also another dream bike of mine, something about them is just so, right.:cool:

• Members

I remember the first time I rode a Venture too, it was a shock. I learned real fast that you need to plan a LOT of stopping distance too on those bad boys, you sure can't ride them like the bikes I was used too. I really loved that Venture though, they're excellent bikes. The big FJ is also another dream bike of mine, something about them is just so, right.
:cool:

Totally agree on both points.

Rode a Suzy Bandit 1200 the other day, and was immediately transported back into FJ territory in my mind, but even better road-grippabilty, if that's possible! The FJ was like being on rails, the Bandit was like actually being attached directly to the road! Awesome grunt and even better grip!

• Members

Holy crap....was just re-reading 78Pbass's original post and looking at the list of items the bike already has on it...it's got a Yosh slip-on and a jetting kit already....anybody know if that bike came with 4-into-1 headers on it originally? If not, and that's a full pipe kit from Yosh, then the horsepower on that bike has got to be tipping the dyno right around 140....jumpin' jiminy Christmas!

• Members

I gots me a new ride:

2002 Yamaha FZ1 with 10k on the clock. I plan on ST'ing it out with bags and other farkles.

Here's what she came with

Yoshimura slip on.

Holeshot jet kit

Holeshot Timing advance kit

Zero Gravity dark windshield

New Pilot Road tires

second horn for more volume

12 volt accessory plug for GPS, phone charge, radar detector, etc.

Hyperlite flashing brake lights for added visibility

Vista Cruise Throttle control

Overall she's great for the first 50 or so miles i put on today. I'm so happy to have a bike manufactured in the same decade we're currently in!!!

Nice score 78pbass. Here's mine as long as we are posting pics. It's a 2005 Triumph America. I've been riding for 30 years and this is the best bike I have had so far. My first was a '64 Triumph 650. They sure have done a nice job on the new ones.

triumph2mm4.jpg

• Members

Holy crap....was just re-reading 78Pbass's original post and looking at the list of items the bike already has on it...it's got a Yosh slip-on and a jetting kit already....anybody know if that bike came with 4-into-1 headers on it originally? If not, and that's a full pipe kit from Yosh, then the horsepower on that bike has got to be tipping the dyno right around 140....jumpin' jiminy Christmas!

PSST: dyno'd 141 at the rear wheels, but no one knows. It's just a lowly standard, right? :cool:

• Members

PSST: dyno'd 141 at the rear wheels, but no one knows. It's just a lowly standard, right?
:cool:

Holy Smokin' Moleys! That's some inhuman grunt there...after I finished stroking the FJ it dyno'd at 121 at the counter-shaft sprocket and it was pure un-caged snarling cheetah...I was actually able to gear it up a bit and still get unbelieveable power for any situation....got almost 50 mpg on that hunney on long cruises due to the gear-up, too....top end (if I ever grew a set large enough, that is!) was probably somewhere around 175 mph with the gear-up, and I can almost guarantee it would have pulled it!

• Members

Just got back from an 80mi jaunt with 2 other friends. All I could muster was 125 before I was out of good road. It sure loves 80.

The smoothness is the the thing that gets me. its like a Vette; power, handling braking; but also drivability and good manners.

Archived