Uncharted water......ring modulators.

Rootdogg

• Members

Hey guys, anyone here play with a ring mod? I was thinking about acquiring one to experiment with. I don't think the damn thing would have any practical live applications, but perhaps studio work or sampling would be fun. Here is what I have seen so far:

Lovetone Ring Stinger

Moogerfooger

EHX Frequency Analyzer

Copilot FX Android

Sinister Analog Ramrod

Now, I would love to get my hands on a Lovetone but the chances of that happening coupled with the rediculous price tag puts that one a little out of reach. I think the Moog would probably be the best choice of the group although I am definetly interested in the Copilot and the Sinister Analog. I am thinking of getting in touch with Brad from Tonefactor to see what he has to say about the last two choices.

Now, I know what a ring mod does (and it is quite dramatic and non musical), so me asking which one retains the tone of the bass is probably a rediculous question lol. I guess I just want to hear if anyone has experience with any of these, and which one they like!

Thanks!

• Members
I think the Moog would probably be the best choice of the group although I am definetly interested in the Copilot and the Sinister Analog. I am thinking of getting in touch with Brad from Tonefactor to see what he has to say about the last two choices.

When I was shopping for effects with a guitarist buddy of mine a few years back, I remember being most impressed by the Moogerfooger. Very nice tone. Very rich. Like any ring mod, the utility is pretty limited. But the Moog seemed to have a more musical sound.

• Members
I f?nd ring modulators are pretty much useless on the bass. Even with guitar, it's an effect that hardly sees much use.

When I was shopping for effects with a guitarist buddy of mine a few years back, I remember being most impressed by the Moogerfooger. Very nice tone. Very rich. Like any ring mod, the utility is pretty limited. But the Moog seemed to have a more musical sound.

If you slow down the speed and sensitivity it sounds way better.

• Members

If you're into DIY, it's pretty easy to build a cheap one with an analog multiplier chip. Probably won't sound anywhere near as nice as a well tweaked design, but it will give you something to play with. Search for "AD633 ring".

I agree with "fun noises, but hard to get musical".

• Members

There's a couple things I'd like to try.

Run the same signal into both inputs, except delay one a tiny bit.

Run the bridge pickup into one input and the neck pickup into the other. It's part of the reason I want to run seperate outputs if I ever get around to P/J-ifying my fretless P.

• Members

One thing I like to do is track something, and then run it through a ringmod, and then record me riding the pitch of the oscillator on the ring mod trying to keep it in harmony or key with what I already had recorded... Its definitely an experimental piece. The Digitech Space Station, the Moogerfooger Ring Mod, and the EH Frequency Analyzer are my faves.

• Members

Hey guys, anyone here play with a ring mod? I was thinking about acquiring one to experiment with. I don't think the damn thing would have any practical live applications, but perhaps studio work or sampling would be fun. Here is what I have seen so far:

Lovetone Ring Stinger

Moogerfooger

EHX Frequency Analyzer

Copilot FX Android

Sinister Analog Ramrod

Now, I would love to get my hands on a Lovetone but the chances of that happening coupled with the rediculous price tag puts that one a little out of reach. I think the Moog would probably be the best choice of the group although I am definetly interested in the Copilot and the Sinister Analog. I am thinking of getting in touch with Brad from Tonefactor to see what he has to say about the last two choices.

Now, I know what a ring mod does (and it is quite dramatic and non musical), so me asking which one retains the tone of the bass is probably a rediculous question lol. I guess I just want to hear if anyone has experience with any of these, and which one they like!

Thanks!

I use ring mod effects now and again, and I'm actually going to be building a Green Ringer soon as well.

I disagree completely on them being non-musical. It depends entirely on how the ring mod is "tuned." If it's adding overtones that are complimentary to the notes you're playing, it will sound very cool, and actually very harmonized. In the same vein though, you can also have it tuned more dissonantly, causing a sound that some would deem "less musical."

As for which to go with, I'd probably go with the Moog or Copilot Android. I love EHX, but the Android seems a bit more versatile than the Frequency Analyzer.

Archived