OT:Computer guys is my system stable?

ToeJamFootball

• Members

I know there is a few guys on here who build PCs, or have had experience building them.

I had some issues with faulty Memory which cause the motherboard to fry, It all got fixed up under warranty (new mobo and RAM), but while I reinstalled XP it blue screened. I put this down to the fact that my XP Home Disc was scratched to {censored}.

I bought and installed XP Professional and haven't had a problem since. But I'm in a position where I don't feel like making this my main PC - It's actually on eBay at the moment.

If I post the specs can you guys tell me if there is anything that could not match up to cause hardware problems?

Sorry for the long post. :thu:

EDIT: I'm on it now, thinking I will use it to browse etc. For a few days and see how I go, I'm just paranoid it will crash again.

• Members

Ok here are the Specs.

Intel Socket 775 Pentium 4 630 3.0G/800/2M Prescott HT EIST EM64T XD CPU

Gigabyte GA-8I945GMF mATX PCIEx16 DualDDRII667 SATAII GbE P4 Motherboard

DDR2 512M PC4200 DDR2 RAM Kingmax

Western Digital 120G SATAII 7200 rpm HDD

Gecube Radeon X600XT 256M PCI Express

LG DVD16X+- Super Multi DVD Rewriter with Software

Aopen KA50 Black EZ Solution 300W CASE

• Members

sounds like you got it all fixed with the new mobo and ram.. if you're asking if there could be compatibility issues with your parts working with other brand parts or something, that's pretty unheard of, so i wouldn't worry about that

Yeah that's all I'm asking really.

I would just keep this system, but I'm paranoid it will crash again. A shiny new Dell would be nice.

• Members

also if the memory was the issue, you could just get a new stick(s) of ram. i'm not familiar with kingmax, but all the other brands of your parts are good

corsair is a good brand and newegg.com always has good deals and is very reliable

The memory issue was a good 6 months ago.

Basically I am trying to decide whether to sell this system for whatever someone is willing to pay for it, cut my losses and buy a new Dell system.

Or, stick it out for longer and see if this system is stable after all, then just buy a new moniter.

• Members

ah i see.. well whatever you're more comfortable with i suppose.. but if you haven't had any problems since, i'd say keep it
:)

It's just a real PITA to have a system blue screen repeatadly for almost 2 years. I want to use this one as a studio PC. Maybe I will use it as my browsing PC and get a new Dell for my recording :D

• Members

I would just keep this system, but I'm paranoid it will crash again. A shiny new
Dell
would be nice.

Something must be wrong if you're thinking about going dell. I prefer to build my own you can get a nice system cheaper if you do it that way.

• Members

Something must be wrong if you're thinking about going dell. I prefer to build my own you can get a nice system cheaper if you do it that way.

Well I decided to do that with this one, and look where it got me.

I want to go Dell because of the CS, and they have killer deals for big screens. :D

• Members

Well I decided to do that with this one, and look where it got me.

I want to go Dell because of the CS, and they have killer deals for big screens.
:D

true dat.. i just had a bad experience with Dell customer service once so i decided to stay away from them though they do have some super cheap systems that aren't slouches at all.

• Members

I would just keep this system, but I'm paranoid it will crash again. A shiny new Dell would be nice.

I hope you'll put something in your auction about the history of the computer. It would be quite {censored}ty of you to sell it because you don't trust it, just to pass the trouble onto some unsuspecting shmuck who wanted a new computer to write emails to grandma. :(

• Members

I hope you'll put something in your auction about the history of the computer. It would be quite {censored}ty of you to sell it because you don't trust it, just to pass the trouble onto some unsuspecting shmuck who wanted a new computer to write emails to grandma.
:(

Well, I've pulled the auction, but yes I did explain it's history. I said, had issues with faulty memory which cause the motherboard to burn out, which has been replaced under warranty.

I'm not that low.

• Members

300W

I had it to start at 99c. I guess I was hoping for a couple hundred at least.

Theres your problem. Ideally you'll want more than 300W to run a system like that, should have at least 400W, especially considering how much power supply manufacturers tend to boost their numbers a little.

Its suprising the number of random problems that are fixed by getting a better quality, higher rated power supply

• Members
Theres your problem. Ideally you'll want more than 300W to run a system like that, should have at least 400W, especially considering how much power supply manufacturers tend to boost their numbers a little.

Its suprising the number of random problems that are fixed by getting a better quality, higher rated power supply

Cool, thanks man, I'll look into getting a new one.

Archived