grounding issue?

bob, just bob

• Members

I put some stacked humbuckers into a j-bass today. The bridge sounds great, the neck hums (but otherwise sounds good). When I face my amp, it hums the loudest, when I turn 90 degrees, the hum largely goes away. Does this sound like a grounding issue? I want to assume I did something wrong, but this seems to act more like a single coil... so does it sound more like the lower coil isn't working? (Also, the p'ups had 2 wires.)

• Members

I tried wiring the pickup to ground other ways (I originally had both p'ups connected to a series/parellel switch), and I am getting the same result....

But to be clear, if it was a grounding issue, I would be getting a consistent amount of hum regardless of which direction I was facing? I want to rule out that I did something wrong before I blame the pickup...

• Members

I'm pretty certain that everything is wired correctly. The pups were not the 4-wire style - they just had a hot lead and a ground (the new ones were Fender pickups).

I installed a switch so it would go from stock j-bass to pups in series at the same time I put the new pups in. This is where the bridge worked fine and the neck had hum. I disconnected the neck's ground wire from the switch and wired it directly to ground. This didn't fix the problem. I am somewhat new to diy tinkerings like this, but I didn't see any bad solder joints during the process.

I have a rehearsal this weekend and an audition coming up, and I needed a working bass, so I put the old pickups back in last night and they are working just fine - no weird noise... So I don't think there is anything wrong with the switch. But the single coil hum from the old pickups responded in a very similar manner and sounded similar to the hum from the "noiseless" pickup.

• Members

It sounds like a wiring issue or just normal generated feedback. Lighting can often effect feedback levels a lot. Check this out it shows the switch as a push pull but it's the same with a normal DPDT switch. Which is what you should be using for a series/parallel switch. If it looks correct and still hums go point to point and check each solder...

If that doesn't help it could be the pickup or just normal hum from a hot pickup. Hope I've been of some help.

:idea: Just an FYI:

Shielding doesn't reduce the normal feedback from being in an electrical field or from high gain...

it only quiets the 60 cycle hum you get from letting go of the strings. Nothing less, nothing more.

• Members

Have you correctly isolated cavities ? (with copper tape) that could help. You can try to switch the bridge one with the neck one, just solder at the bridge place, and solder the bridge pickup to the nexk place. You will see if it comes from your shielding or your pickup... If it's the pickup, perhaps the two magnet part aren't assembled in opposition polarity inside the pickup (it's kind of humbucker IIUW ?) So, you can't do anything that claim for a change.

• Members

FebruaryStars, that is basically what I did except with a toggle switch instead of a push/pull pot. I did notice something in that diagram though that I feel rather dumb about... My stock J bass didn't have a wire from the back of the pot to the sleeve of the jack (ok, so I'm a noob...). I'll connect that and see how that goes.

Also, where can I get the copper tape? Just a regular hardware store?

Archived