Quickie pickup review, Bart P2.

L-1329

• Members

Well I've been playing a bass that I just put these in for the past couple days, and I'm impressed! They are a set of Bart Deep Tone P2 humbuckers, and the bass is an alder body and maple neck 34", with an Aggie OBP-3 preamp. I also have the pickups wired to three-way's for series, single coil, and parallel.

The name is pretty accurate, they are deep. The highs and upper mids are kind of lacking in definition, and a little boost of the high with the OBP helps get things more defined up top. Also a little tweak of the upper mids and high on the amp helps here too. The upper end sounds very nice to me, but it's just a little less clear when flat.

The best part is that there's really something special happening in the low mids with these things, it's got this really nice, grindy/growly tone in there that sounds great, the kind of tone that comes through well with a band. The lows are very prominent though, and need just a tiny bit of cut to let those low mids shine, and man do they ever. I am really liking how they sound, and how full and rich the bass is with them. The low B string in particular made a HUGE improvement in tone over the Nordie pickups, much richer and a lot less bad harmonic sound in the higher frets. The nice thing is this bass can easily do a smooth tone, as well as a much more grinding rock sound, and the OBP helps a ton with that. The two together are a great combination.

As for the switching, these pickups don't change their sound as much as the dual coil Nordies I replaced, but there is a difference from series to parallel. Series gives it a noticible jump in volume and a more prominent middy tone. I don't think that's their best tone, but in a band to get a quick increase in cut, that would be a sure way to do it. Parallel is much deeper sounding, and easier to tweak. They sound very good in single coil, which is kind of a suprise to me. Very full and clear, with more definition than either humbucker setting.

So the short answer is they to exactly the job I wanted, with only minimal tweaking to keep a nice rich, growly and defined tone. Definitly keepers.:cool:

• Members

:thu:
I'm thinking of replaceing the EMG HZ's in my Schecter and was thinking:idea: Maybe Barts.

I put a set of Classic Bass series Bart's in my Elite 5, also with great results. That bass needed more emphasis on the mids, and the Classic Bass pups helped out better there than the Deep Tone pickups would have. That bass works very well with Barts, live and in recordings.:cool:

• Members

I put a set of Classic Bass series Bart's in my Elite 5, also with great results. That bass needed more emphasis on the mids, and the Classic Bass pups helped out better there than the Deep Tone pickups would have. That bass works very well with Barts, live and in recordings.
:cool:

Cool Thanks I'll look into those are they drop ins for the EMG's.

Archived