i dont get it

fannedfretbass

• Members
Probably the most arrogant and pretencious thing I've read on this board
:bor::blah::rolleyes:

Really? How do you figure? Because I made a valid point that theres more to playing bass than playing scale after scale, such as not ignoring the dynamics and rhythm of a song? Or the part where I pointed out that Justin deserves a little more credit than..."I don't get it"....for the way that he uses bass as a creative tool rather then a 'lead' instrument....? Not sure why you are name calling here... I never directed anything to you (unless you are a scale wanker). I actually support the point you made in a previous post about album sales and hype. I never said justin is the 'greatest player alive' or anything of the sort. Just that he does deserve to be respected for the niche he's carved.

• Members

Really? How do you figure? Because I made a valid point that theres more to playing bass than playing scale after scale, such as not ignoring the dynamics and rhythm of a song? Or the part where I pointed out that Justin deserves a little more credit than..."I don't get it"....for the way that he uses bass as a creative tool rather then a 'lead' instrument....? Not sure why you are name calling here... I never directed anything to you (unless you are a scale wanker). I actually support the point you made in a previous post about album sales and hype. I never said justin is the 'greatest player alive' or anything of the sort. Just that he does deserve to be respected for the niche he's carved.

I think the part where you said 'scale wankers' were irrelevant but then proceeded to justify time signature wankers as awesome came across wrong. I'm still confused as to what your problem is with bass solos or artist communicating with the bass? If he is just a rhythym player (as you describe him) hes hardly carved a niche either, people have been doing that since the inception of bass in Western Culture, way back when.

I think you might want to think before you post, I'm offended you went so far to say bass is only a rythym intrument, it's clearly fundamentally melodic no amtter how you approach it, so your already wrong there.

• Members

Indy music. All of it. It's terrible, they don't even attempt musicality of songwriting, relying on an established "holier than thou" fan base to fuel their monotonous and woeful songs and style.

Elite much? Again... you've taken a point I was trying to make and twist and turn it into an argument. Point being, the OP had written off a musician without seemingly studying much of his work.

I try to study and take something from ALL forms of music. If thats 'arrogant' of me...so be it. I call it being a student of music. Seems like you've been on the elite train too long. Open your mind.

• Members

Sweet misquotes man... I'm not going play "lets argue opinion" much longer, so I will conclude with this... How can one be a 'time signature wanker'? Thats funny to me. Second... you imply that I don't think bassists should play scales or express themselves through their instrument... WRONG. I think many of todays students FOCUS on learning scales / solos to play like Wooten, or Jaco, or Clarke and forget the fundamentals...like learning to keep time.

Nice dig with the "western culture" comment...again.. You missed my point. That being is that he is creative with his lines over a given meter. They are not all over the place. They are in fact quite melodic often interwining with Maynards vocal melodies.

I do think before I speak. Unfortunately elitists such as yourself look down on something because its popular or has a following. Case in point...

Elite much? Again... you've taken a point I was trying to make and twist and turn it into an argument. Point being, the OP had written off a musician without seemingly studying much of his work.

I try to study and take something from ALL forms of music. If thats 'arrogant' of me...so be it. I call it being a student of music. Seems like you've been on the elite train too long. Open your mind.

Except I accept I'm an elitest instead of you who just then was hypocritical.

Your claiming someone playing complex scales or harmonies or weird notes is wanky or less than someone playing over an odd meter. Personally I don't care if it sounds good, I'm just sick of people ripping on Wooten or anyone similar because they choose to play fast or complexly. That seems pretty {censored}ing retarded to me.

I never said JC wasn't melodic, I never said he wasn't good, I never said anythign about Tool. I actually only critisized YOU.

Way to go you 'student of music', wanna place yourself on any kind of pedestal there you flying douchebag?

Also please never presume to know anything about how I think or function, lest of all how I judge. You've come here publically, made outrageous and occasionally offensive claims, then called yourself better than me and on top of it all are plain wrong.

• Members

Except I accept I'm an elitest instead of you who just then was hypocritical.

Your claiming someone playing complex scales or harmonies or weird notes is wanky or less than someone playing over an odd meter. Personally I don't care if it sounds good, I'm just sick of people ripping on Wooten or anyone similar because they choose to play fast or complexly. That seems pretty {censored}ing retarded to me.

I never said JC wasn't melodic, I never said he wasn't good, I never said anythign about Tool. I actually only critisized YOU.

Way to go you 'student of music', wanna place yourself on any kind of pedestal there you flying douchebag?

Also please never presume to know anything about how I think or function, lest of all how I judge. You've come here publically, made outrageous and occasionally offensive claims, then called yourself better than me and on top of it all are plain wrong.

Haha...jesus man. Insecure much? We've resorted to name calling and filthy language? I never outright said, Stonerdude, you are a {censored}ing wanker. This is so blown out of proportion thanks to you. Me simply trying to make the O.P. "get" Justin Chancellor has resorted to this.

I never ripped on Wooten. I said people try to cop to him to much. I love his skills... He and Clarke are favorites of mine... you've again, missed my point. I can see by now you'll never get it so oh well. I can't believe you are taking this like I called your mom a whore or something. I hardly think anything I said was outragous. Let me dumb it down for you. I see all too often 'musicians' flexing their musician muscles. Many times at the sacrifice of the music. I equate it to a guy that is of a rediculous muscular build..wearing a t-shirt he bought at Gap Kids, in order to enhance his already muscular physique. Understand now asshole? Whats next... hopping a plane and e-thugging me in person? There... now you've made me stoop to your level. Its a free world bro... i can only develop an opinion of you from what i've read...and you sound like another frustrated bassist...angry at the jack whites of the world, because they make some bassists feel insignificant. Its ok man. You can cry on my shoulder if you want. I'm here for you.

• Members
:freak:

Guys, he's just a damn bass player in a popular metal band.

Really - nothing more, nothing less.

His style of playing was established by previous band members, and the architect of it all, Adam Jones, anyway.

This reminds me of discussions heard in the 80's about Roger Water's "awesome" fretless work on "Hey You" - only to find out later, that Gilmour played those lines....:lol:

It'd be hilarious, and somehow fitting, if it turned out that adam jones is playing the bass parts on the records. :lol:

• Members
Haha...jesus man. Insecure much? We've resorted to name calling and filthy language? I never outright said, Stonerdude, you are a {censored}ing wanker. This is so blown out of proportion thanks to you. Me simply trying to make the O.P. "get" Justin Chancellor has resorted to this.

I never ripped on Wooten. I said people try to cop to him to much. I love his skills... He and Clarke are favorites of mine... you've again, missed my point. I can see by now you'll never get it so oh well. I can't believe you are taking this like I called your mom a whore or something. I hardly think anything I said was outragous. Let me dumb it down for you. I see all too often 'musicians' flexing their musician muscles. Many times at the sacrifice of the music. I equate it to a guy that is of a rediculous muscular build..wearing a t-shirt he bought at Gap Kids, in order to enhance his already muscular physique. Understand now asshole? Whats next... hopping a plane and e-thugging me in person? There... now you've made me stoop to your level. Its a free world bro... i can only develop an opinion of you from what i've read...and you sound like another frustrated bassist...angry at the jack whites of the world, because they make some bassists feel insignificant. Its ok man. You can cry on my shoulder if you want. I'm here for you.

Which is all well and good, apart from when you placed yourself immediately above me in saying your some kind of 'student for music' I mean get over yourself. :cop:. Then you equated your opinion on musicians flexing muscles with scales only, I fail to see whats not wanky about playing in 14/17 for absolutely no reason. I have yet to hear a Tool song that I couldn't arrange in a standard time signature, granted it could be confusing at times. This doesn't particularily bother me, your hypocrisy does! There you go again forming opinions about me and my bass playing without actually knowing anything other than I can't stand wangcasters talking {censored} online while being blind hypocrites and not realising it, it's ok even I make mistakes sometimes.

I also do not get Cliff Burton, the WHOLE band was better back then as well, so I can't help but think he's over hyped.

Archived