i dont get it

fannedfretbass

• Members

justin chancellor. what do i listen to to get "it". as far as i see he just has really really good tone. i sincerely want someone to try and explain this to me.

There's nothing special about him. Absolutely nothing remarkable at all really. He's got a somewhat unique tone and a style that is his...but so do dozens of other well known bassists. Tool has a very sheep like following..I'm not sure why, but the people that love Tool think they can do no wrong and will defend them at every opportunity.

Dan

• Members

i'm a big justin fan but i do understand why there's some people who don't 'get' him.

i find his riffs very aggressive and rhythmic while being beautiful and melodic. he has an interesting approach to tool's odd meter and poly-rhythmic nature that i would describe as being very fluid. also he is very good at playing counter melodies behind maynard, who i believe to be one of greatest rock vocalists of the day. the melodic stuff is especially evident on the later lateralus and 10,000 days albums. and justin's tone, well that's just a whole different rant.

overall, i view him as very fluid and watery, much like his tone. and i believe the greatest accomplishment of any artist to be having their own distinct voice, which is why i don't understand why people bash guys like justin and claypool just because they aren't chopsy mcwooten. you can hear these guys from a mile away, and whether your cup of tea or not, i think that merits them some credit.

• Members

I'll say the same thing I said during the recent Fieldy thread - what he does works very well for his band, and in the end that's all that matters...

I'll admit that I like both of those bands, though - so I'm not unbiased entirely... but would also like to note that both bands have sold more than the combined HC membership probably every will - so it *kinda* smacks of sour grapes to slam them, IMO...

- georgestrings

• Members

Why Georgestrings? They are professional musicians, we are paying consumers, we have a right to critisize and question a product we may be purchasing. You do not have to have a million dollar musical career to have a valid opinion on an artist, or to beleive they are overhyped. I'll never understand your train of thought. I do not need to be a chef of a five star restraunt to say theres a dish I do not like. Why do I have to be the best musician to claim theres music I don't like?

I like his tone, his playing's kinda boring but has it's place in the band, which I find extremely balanced between roles, which is a tough thing to accomplish. But I'm not a tool fan.

• Members

i'm a big justin fan but i do understand why there's some people who don't 'get' him.

i find his riffs very aggressive and rhythmic while being beautiful and melodic. he has an interesting approach to tool's odd meter and poly-rhythmic nature that i would describe as being very fluid. also he is very good at playing counter melodies behind maynard, who i believe to be one of greatest rock vocalists of the day. the melodic stuff is especially evident on the later lateralus and 10,000 days albums. and justin's tone, well that's just a whole different rant.

overall, i view him as very fluid and watery, much like his tone. and i believe the greatest accomplishment of any artist to be having their own distinct voice, which is why i don't understand why people bash guys like justin and claypool just because they aren't chopsy mcwooten. you can hear these guys from a mile away, and whether your cup of tea or not, i think that merits them some credit.

To add on to this statement... It seems as if some of the Justin bashers are suggesting that you have to constantly fly the flag of music theory and musician snobbishness. Can Justin rip a Jaco or Wootin solo? Probably not... Most comments by people that are negative against Justin or the band for that matter are obviously from people who have never studied the bands music. Not saying you have to LIKE it... but I don't understand how you can't appreciate something such as...

"About seven minutes into

• Members

i guess im just feeling left out of the "maynard is so artistic he doesnt look at the crowd when he sings" club.

Methinks you haven't actually seen Tool live. The whole band just doesn't try to get the crowd all amped up. The crowd at a Tool gig does that on their own. It's more of an atmospheric thing...

As far as getting Justin: There is nothing to get. He is not a technical god, but he has some great lines. They work very well within the context of the band. He is a very groove oriented player...as are Adam and Danny. His tone is simply amazing.

And although Tool is one of my favorite bands, I prefer their older stuff...and will not bow down to their feet with anything they do. I didn't like Lateralus very much...and 10K Days has it's moments...but it's not my favorite by a long shot. Now Opiate, Undertow, and Aenima...those albums rock from beginning to end! :thu:

• Members
your response is exactly what made me so inquisitive. tool fans get so defensive over any criticism that they do insane things like compare justin chancellor to jaco. im trying to get someone who "gets it" to explain them to me.

Explaining music is like listening to a painting. :idk:

• Members

Tool is one of my favorite bands but I wouldn't say JC is one of my favorite players.

He fits both into the bass players spot and rhythm guitar's at the same time. He also uses a decent number of effect and probably made millions for Digitech.

He's got some cool lines but I think his biggest thing is he fits well with very talented musicians to make some cool music.

Yo.

• Members

I don't ever get all of these "I don't get _____" posts.
:freak:

Werd.

If you have ears to hear, you'll hear it and "get it". If you don't, there's plenty of other stuff out there... Me, I can't stand "classic" rock or whatever so I don't listen to it. It's all good. :cool:

To the OP, it's fun and it's different. I like Justin, just like I like Maynard, Adam and Danny all as a badass group. Justin just sticks out more b/c he's a bassist, AND you can hear him well in complex and layered music, which almost never happens (see John Myung). If I were a guitard, drummer or on the vox, Adam, Danny or Maynard would be my heroes. :) Tool is just the {censored} and once you see them live, you judge every one after by that show or shows.

• Members

--Quoted from Bass Player Magazine

There is more to mastering an instrument that just applying every scale you've ever learned. Bass is a rhythm instrument first and foremost, seems like so many people have forgotten that and thats why there are so many so many bassists who can play solos and yet can't lock in with the drummer.

He brings a creativity to the instrument that is refereshing. He uses effects in a tasteful way that actually add to the music. Unfortunately i've seen too many bass players and guitarists that worry so much about their chops...but can't even play to a 4/4 beat let alone 5/16. Yes I do love Tool as well as a lot of other bass players some famous, some not, because I'm a student of music. Not hype.

So call me defensive if you want... but its not... I just hate uninformed arrogance.... and thats what fannedfret seems to be showing.

Probably the most arrogant and pretencious thing I've read on this board :bor::blah::rolleyes:

Archived