sx basses, is it wood on top, or a pic?

poomwah

• Members

for those who have heavily modded their sx basses, has anyone stripped the finish off of one? Is the nice pretty woodgrain on top real? or is it one of those jobs where they laminate in a photo of a piece of wood. It seems odd that for the price that it would be reall wood. I'd hate to start stripping the clear coat off only to watch the picture come off with it :[

• Members

for those who have heavily modded their sx basses, has anyone stripped the finish off of one? Is the nice pretty woodgrain on top real? or is it one of those jobs where they laminate in a photo of a piece of wood. It seems odd that for the price that it would be reall wood. I'd hate to start stripping the clear coat off only to watch the picture come off with it :[

ive never heard of such a thing. i own an sx and even tho i have not stripped the finish i can safely say that no, its not a picture of woodgrain.

• Members

That's interesting. I've never really thought they would do something like that before. Guess I was wrong...

Its wayyyyy cheaper to do than buying and using figured wood. Even if it was just a laminate figured top, it'd be more expensive and harder to work with than the film.

• Members

Its wayyyyy cheaper to do than buying and using figured wood. Even if it was just a laminate figured top, it'd be more expensive and harder to work with than the film.

Yes...I know that, but I wasn't sure he was talking about laminated tops. I've got basses with great wood grain that aren't laminated at all.

I am a carpenter by trade...

• Members

There's a "fake bubinga" finish used on some Rondo basses as well (thinking of the Brice 8 stringers).

For the price ranges they're at, I have no problem with it. But I wouldn't pay the extra $$ for it for the models where there's a choice.

• Members

Yes...I know that, but I wasn't sure he was talking about laminated tops. I've got basses with great wood grain that aren't laminated at all.

I am a carpenter by trade...

:thu: There are a lot of instruments with gorgeous grain out there, which just can't be beat. My Czech Spector has a beautiful quilt, and the finish just 'pops' it wonderfully.

Archived