Ibanez ATKs

ToeJamFootball

• Members

I just played an older one this weekend. I was going to buy it...it was only $200...and I'm sure I could have gotten it down more. It was neon green...and I'm not sure what model it was. It played ok...but I liked the newer ones that I played better. Maybe it was a lower model? I'm not too up to snuff on them ATK's yet...

• Members

It's not very hard but the bridge is one of the best features of this bass.

Replacing it won't do no good.

You will also need quite a large bridge since there is routing for grounding under the metal plate.

That was going to be my next question, if there was any routing under there. Thanks for that man :thu:

If anyone has some clips that would be really cool.

EDIT: Just curious, what makes it one of the best features of the bass, does it add to the sound? More mass, more sustain etc?

Cheers.

• Members

I've played one at the store. Bridge is ok with me, MY aesthetic umbrage is the headstock; I guess I'm picky in that regard. :o

Seemed like a bastardized combo of old-school feel with new(ish)-school electronics; if that's your thing, it's a nice bass, but I tend to lean in the opposite direction.

• Members

the electronics kinda suck, but thats easy enough to change, especially if I'm getting the sound I want unplugged, and pretty close to the sound I want when I plug in right?

When you change electronics, the sound will change. Make sure you do your research on it first...

A P/J isn't going to sound anything like a MM...so if that is the sound you like, I'd recommend sticking with the MM style. A Stingray or a SUB4 if you can find one.

• Members

sorry about that last post, it was supposed to be a new thread, not sure how I wound up posting it here

guitargod, thanks again, I know that the sound is different between the mm style and the p/j, for that reason, I may get both, LOL

• Members

I'm a recent ATK convert after being a long time precision bass player. As far as rock and funk tones go, this thing can handle anything. Picked on the 'traditional' switch it sounds like a jazz bass on heat. Fingerstyle on the 'attack' switch you get musicman grunt. The attack on these basses is huge so it took me some tweaking with my rig to get a good sound that wasn't over the top attack wise - i basically had to dial out most of the mids on my sansamp and head because the bass has mids covered by itself.

The bridge is awesome on these things - don't bother swapping. String through has so much sustain.

And the neck is easily the best one I've ever played.

There's some good sound samples here: http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/product_news/pages/2007/ATK/index_u.html

• Members

Grunt, thanks for the heads up! If I ever come into some money, I'll do some searching around. My only concern is the lack of a neck pickup, I rest my thumb on it. I've seen some of the older ATK's with a neck p/u, but it doesn't look like the new models have it. I'll have to try one out and see how it fits.

• Members

Grunt, thanks for the heads up! If I ever come into some money, I'll do some searching around. My only concern is the lack of a neck pickup, I rest my thumb on it. I've seen some of the older ATK's with a neck p/u, but it doesn't look like the new models have it. I'll have to try one out and see how it fits.

Yeah some of the older ATK's made in early to mid 90's had a jazz style pick-up on them. I don't think any of the newer ones come with this. Tone wise, I don't think I'm missing out on anything though. The tripple coil pick-up and selector gives you some versatile tones at the flick of a switch.

I guess I just grab what little of the pickguard I can to rest off but you could always mod yourself a little thumb rest like on some of the old Fender P's? :idea:

Good luck in your ATK hunt! :thu:

• Members

ATK750KANT.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-ATK750KA-Figured-Koa-Bass-Guitar?sku=516146

$750 though and i don't like neck pups anyways it gets in the way of my slappin.

• Members

My first bass was an Ibanez and I had nothing but problems with it. It pretty much turned me off of anything that they put out. However I did try an ATK a few months back and was actually pretty surprised on how good it sounded and played. If something happens where I need a medium priced active bass, I would probably pick one up

• Members

I just heard some sound clips of them on

sound number 5 in the attack position, OH MY GOD

ps, anyone on here watch the shield? I'll explain why after you answer

I play mostly with the switch in the attack position. It just RAWKS!!! For anyone playing anything harder (rock/metal/punk) then this is definately the setting to have it on. I prefer this for slappin too as you get a beautiful thump out of your low B and some great sounding rich pops from the higher strings.

The other settings give you a smoother buttery sound perfect for your Jazz/blues type sound.

Oh and sorry but we don't have the shield over here.................well not on TV at the moment anyway.

• Members

Joe Bonamassa's old bass player, Eric Czar used the 5 string version of these. In fact, one was recently offered on ebay. They're the ideal bass for the road. They sound gound, they're sturdy, and if they're stolen, pretty much no harm done. I've often thought of getting one, but have enough stuff now to keep me busy.

Archived