Advice and suggestions (OT, and kinda bloggish)

Funkee1

• Members

Ok guys.. (and gals.... I wanna be equal).

I'm sure I am opening myself for some ridicule. I'm ok with that..... bring it on!

But seriously, I need more income. I feel like I have needed real roost somewhere, so I am staying, for now, at Wal- Mart. I had hoped to go to work for another, unnamed forumite (If he chooses to out himself, grat, but I won't say) in his business, but my cash needs were too immediate. I was advised not to do it by several people. It will look better to the courts if I stay at Wal- mart.

Having said that, it just doesn't pay enough, and I don't have enough gigs. I could teach lessons, and have tried several times. There is too much competition out here, and again, my needs are too immediate to wait.

Here are a list of my skills and talents. I am sure there's something here that can make a buck, but I'm not seeing how to use it properly:

Music (obviously)

Computers (I am a hack, but can operate most applications, and can do data entry, and stuff like that)

Writing and proofreading (yes, despite what you see here, I know my way around the Elements of Style, and can spell and gramaritize real gud)

Public speaking (I can keep an audience spellbound while I tell a tale)

Electronics (I can wire up a home theater, or set up a PC network with the best of them)

Child care and parenting

Comedy

General knowledge whiz (yes, I know more useless information than anyone)

Things I am not too good at:

Manual Labor (I can do it, but at 44, and out of shape, this probably isn't my forte)

Cleaning- )Not the neatest person around, although if you ask me to clean your place, I will do so to Your standards, not mine)

What I need is something I can do part- time, or on a basis that I can do around Wal- Mart and gigging, but wouldn't mind making it a career, if anyone has suggestions.

I'm hitting a brick wall, which is why I asked you all.

• Members

Electronics (I can wire up a home theater, or set up a PC network with the best of them)

My friend's brother works at an upscale home theater store. Blanking on the name right now, but he gets paid to go to houses, evaluate the best system for the money they want to spend, then install their desired system. Apparently, he does pretty well for himself. Look into that, perhaps? I'd assume it would pay better than wally world.

• Members

My friend's brother works at an upscale home theater store. Blanking on the name right now, but he gets paid to go to houses, evaluate the best system for the money they want to spend, then install their desired system. Apparently, he does pretty well for himself. Look into that, perhaps? I'd assume it would pay better than wally world.

See, this is something I have wanted to do for a long time! Kinda a personal Shopper, but for Home theater and video!

I'd l;ove to do this!

• Members

There is a corporate internet hosting company called Rackspace that is growing by leaps and bounds right now. They have been hiring an average of 80 people per month, nationwide, and they are about to do some major expansion. They apparently have a come-as-you-are attitude to dress code, and they also boast a fairly interesting "employee of the month" recognition method...

You might keep an eye on their jobs page to see if something good pops up in your area.

http://www.rackspacecareers.com/

Also, look into radio. Many on-air positions are part time, and personality is a big plus!

• Members

I know this is not an immediate fix for you, but I've suggested to you ad nauseum to head back to school. You're not too old to get back in school and totally change your situation. In my class last night I had 12 students (my classes fill at 12). Of those, 5 are over 35 and looking to change careers. In our area, there is and will continue to be for quite a while openings in the process operations field. These are folks that operate, mantain, and troubleshoot the equipment required to manufacture petroleum products as well as all sorts of chemicals. Additionally, the power companies are screaming for people. These jobs tend to start at ~$20 minimum with full benefits and a person can typically hit $32-$35 per hour within 5 years. This morning one of my 19yo students is interviewing for the power company for an entry level position. There's no doubt that he'll be hired. They'll start him out at the bottom at $19 per hour. He'll be at $35 no later than his 24th birthday. I've got students that are currently in the field and are clocking $100k+ with overtime.

Is this right for you? I have no clue. I do believe you need a long-term solution not a short-term one.

My point: find out where the jobs are in CA that pay what you're wanting to earn then figure out how to obtain said job. Your community college can be a tremendous help with this.

Good luck!

• Members
I know this is not an immediate fix for you, but I've suggested to you ad nauseum to head back to school. You're not too old to get back in school and totally change your situation. In my class last night I had 12 students (my classes fill at 12). Of those, 5 are over 35 and looking to change careers. In our area, there is and will continue to be for quite a while openings in the process operations field. These are folks that operate, mantain, and troubleshoot the equipment required to manufacture petroleum products as well as all sorts of chemicals. Additionally, the power companies are screaming for people. These jobs tend to start at ~$20 minimum with full benefits and a person can typically hit $32-$35 per hour within 5 years. This morning one of my 19yo students is interviewing for the power company for an entry level position. There's no doubt that he'll be hired. They'll start him out at the bottom at $19 per hour. He'll be at $35 no later than his 24th birthday. I've got students that are currently in the field and are clocking $100k+ with overtime.

Is this right for you? I have no clue. I do believe you need a long-term solution not a short-term one.

My point: find out where the jobs are in CA that pay what you're wanting to earn then figure out how to obtain said job. Your community college can be a tremendous help with this.

Good luck!

You're right, and it is one of my near future plans. Right now, though, I have to find a way to stop living hand to mouth, and put away some savings. Can't do that when I make less than I need...I have offered one of the local community colleges a barter........ Classes as a teacher for classes as a student...... We'll see.......

• Members

You're right, and it is one of my near future plans. Right now, though, I have to find a way to stop living hand to mouth, and put away some savings. Can't do that when I make less than I need...

I have offered one of the local community colleges a barter........ Classes as a teacher for classes as a student...... We'll see.......

In order to stop living hand-to-mouth, you're gonna have to find a job that PAYS. Those jobs tend to require a special skill set. It seems to me that you're looking for some sort of magic bullet that's not likely to materialize and in the process are just spinning your wheels. We've had this school discussion many times over the years. I understand you're in a tough situation. I meet folks like you everyday in my job. Some sit in my office and talk a good game but never take the next step. Those that do have dramatically changed their situation...not because of something I've done for them but because of what they've done for themselves. I really want to see you break out of your situation but you're gonna have to make it happen.

• Members

It would suck.

But. Managers at convenience stores, Fast food places, and the like, make half-decent money. You won't be rich, but I bet it pays better than Wal-Mart.

And. They all have management training programs. Which means you get paid while you're in "school".

You're a smart dude and if you demonstrate the ability to work it won't take long to move up.

As T-Broom stated. There is no magic solution. You're gonna have to take a few years or so and get yourself started down a career path. But. If you work hard and commit yourself it'll pay off in the end.

Archived