PA system instead of Amp?

Goofball Jones

• Members

Was thinking...which is a dangerous thing I know...but I'm wondering if a nice QSC PLX-1804 with Avatar cabs would be more efficient and of course, versatile than just getting a regular bass amp.

Other than the PLX-1804 and the cabs...what else would I need? Just a DI like a Sansamp or similar? Or instead of a Sansamp, a BBE BMAX-t Tube pre-amp...which would then go into the PLX?

What would be the downside to all this...as actually it would be cheaper than some of the other Bass amp options I was looking at.

• Members

That's not a PA! It's just a power amp some bass cabs. People do that all the time. You will actually need a preamp if you go this route. But it's not going to be a PA...

A PA has different cabs that are generally full range. You'd need some pretty stout cabs & a lot of power to really make the bass shine though. A PA would also have a mixer instead of a preamp.

• Members

Ok, what's the downside to all this? You get a power amp and a pre-amp and some cabs. Seems like a no-brainer. What's the catch? Why are dedicated bass amps that are less power (the PLX-1804 is 900 watts at 4 ohms) yet more expensive out there?

Thanks for the "Amplification 101" training too. I need it. ;)

It was just on Talkbass someone posted his Avatar "Rig of Doom":

001-1.jpg

• CMS Author

Ok, what's the downside to all this? You get a power amp and a pre-amp and some cabs. Seems like a no-brainer. What's the catch? Why are dedicated bass amps that are less power (the PLX-1804 is 900 watts at 4 ohms) yet more expensive out there?

Thanks for the "Amplification 101" training too. I need it.
;)

Amps come in all price ranges. A power amp lacks a preamp and any of the other features you may find on a bass amp. Add the cost of a good preamp (I personally don't consider the Sansamp BDDI to be one, but the RBI is) and you're usually right up there price-wise.

• Members

TBH, esp since you play a 4-banger, get yourself a set of the 2-way active Mackie's w/ the 112 and horn and you'd be good to go.

I think Jazzy did this in the past, as I know I have a time or two, and you kill two birds with one stone. Take one speaker if you just need it for bass playin', or you can use both as your PA.

• Members

So just getting the PA and a DI wouldn't work at all?

Then how do people use only a DI when they go out to gig? The house PA's all have pre-amps?

Just curious.

Have you ever seen a mixing board? Your DI and/or mic signal(well, ALL signals) goes there. Most mixers will have a preamp for each channel at the input stage before the eq & aux sections.

• Members

All PAs consist of preamps, poweramps & loudspeakers.

All bass rigs consist of the same, only tailored to the wants of the bassist. Therefore, a bass rig is essentially a PA system simply tailored for bass guitar.

A 'head' consists of a pre & poweramp. A combo consists of a pre & power amp in the loudspeaker enclosure.

• Members

All PAs consist of preamps, poweramps & loudspeakers.

All bass rigs consist of the same, only tailored to the wants of the bassist. Therefore, a bass rig is essentially a PA system simply tailored for bass guitar.

A 'head' consists of a pre & poweramp. A combo consists of a pre & power amp in the loudspeaker enclosure.

Gotcha. That all makes sense now. Basic info I never ever knew before. :freak:

• Members

Gotcha. That all makes sense now. Basic info I never ever knew before.
:freak:

...so when people talk about going DI-only, they are simply using a DI box to match their impedance for the long cable run back to the board where it hits the preamp there and on to the house power amps-n-loudspeakers as well as sending you a monitor mix* to your stage monitor(wedge).

Your rig is your stage monitor for you and your band, so when you send your signal to the PA, it's for the house only.

...so when people talk about using PA amps and maybe even PA loudspeakers for their rigs, they're just using the same components of a bass rig, but said components won't be tailored to just bass guitar.

*A monitor mix/send requires the same components of a PA/rig- preamp(s)/poweramp(s)/loudspeaker(generally a wedge).

• Members

It should also be noted that the XLR output of most bass preamps is a balances output, not a line level signal designed for driving the input of a power amp. This is why the RBI + Power amp setup never seems quite as loud as a lower powered standalone bass amp.

Archived