OT: Update on the Saudi visit...

RSBro

• Members
I can't see any good reason for an American, who isn't in the military (aka forced visit) or working a well paid job, to risk going to the Middle East.

Request of an amazing gf and her family for you to come visit where she grew up and in some parts still her home. I donno. :)

• Members

I went to Saudi for a month back in the mid-90's for work. Had to jump through All kinds of hoops including signing the document where I acknowlege that drug smuggling is punishable by DEATH and that there is no such thing as a personal use amount. Had to have a Saudi sponsor sign the work visa. Even the ex-pats that have been there years can't bring anyone in that's not family. Other than the pilgrimage to Mecca for the faithful, it's not a tourist destination. I'm glad I went when I did, and I enjoyed the trip. But I was when my plane took off for the trip home.

• Members

I'm assuming a trip to Saudi Arabia would be more enjoyable for a man than a woman. ;)

One of my old coworkers lived in Saudi Arabia for a year, and he told me it was the best place he'd ever been. He was from Mogadishu, Somalia though, so I assume almost anywhere would've been preferable to that place after the fall of Mohamed Said Barre.

Egypt is supposed to be a cool place to visit as well, but I've never been.

Archived