OT: Update on the Saudi visit...

RSBro

• Members

So, my gf is REALLY pushing me to visit Saudi Arabia with her this summer, as her mom is moving back in a few months and she isn't taking summer school and wants to go.

Only problem is, the more I keep looking at the 4 reasons you can be granted a visa to visit there, the more it just ain't gonna work which sucks. We aren't married, and I have no family there, and I can't justify any "work-related" activities, and they don't approve them "just to go".

Really sucks, because it's the only way I'll meet her dad in a LONG time, and the way she talks about it I think would be a once in a lifetime experience and could be real interesting.

Gah, oh well.

• Members

Scratch that- here's the list:

* Business Visit Visa

* Diplomatic And Official Visa

* Employment Visa

* Extension of Exit/Re-Entry Visa

* Family Visit Visa

* Residence Visa

* Student Visa

* Transit Visa

* Hajj Visa

* Umrah Visa

• Members

RSB, how is her family with her not being with one of her own? i know that a lot of cultures in the mid east frown upon relationships outside of their own kind. is her family accepting of her choices?

I guess I should re-clarify, in the fact that her dad is Canadian but has worked in Saudi the last 15-20 years, and her mom is Mexican/Italian. They're all from Texas, she just moved there when she was like 6 mo's, and went to school there until high school. Her sister did the same thing, so she's not actually "Saudi" as a race, but that's just where technically she is from and her dad is still there, and mom is moving back, so it's more home for her than anywhere else.

• Members

Could you not get her dad's boss to make you up some fake business visa thingy?

Just say you represent the graphite industry, they'll believe you on the spot
:D

:lol:

"Hi, I'm from HCBF Graphite Inc. I'm here on business....ehhh yeahhh,...that's right.....business"

;)

• Members

You must convert to Islam, infidel!
:idea:

Then you must take a Hajj.
:wave:

Do not even think of having relations with the girl while in country unless you are married. Otherwise your tripod could end up one leg short.
:cop:

That's the deal- I don't even think she can get me in UNLESS we're married. Notice the non-mentioning of "Pleasure Visa" on the list... ;)

Maybe I could bring one of my Mods, and say I'm trying to license out the patent or something??

The RSB's Graphite, LLC isn't bad... ;)

• Members

Saudi is a rough place for outsiders and particularly women. I imagine her family spent most of their time in one of those westernised, gated compounds. That's what your time there is going to be like. Also, the official types and officers have no sense of humour. The French PM just visited there and there was a hue and a cry about whether his girlfriend should/could come along and if so whether she would have the same status normally given to a foreign leader's wife.

• Members

I guess I should re-clarify, in the fact that her dad is Canadian but has worked in Saudi the last 15-20 years, and her mom is Mexican/Italian. They're all from Texas, she just moved there when she was like 6 mo's, and went to school there until high school. Her sister did the same thing, so she's not actually "Saudi" as a race, but that's just where technically she is from and her dad is still there, and mom is moving back, so it's more home for her than anywhere else.

ooh i thought you were dating some middle eastern chick. some of them are pretty hot. i bet they all have huge bushes tho.

• Members

Saudi is a rough place for outsiders and particularly women. I imagine her family spent most of their time in one of those westernised, gated compounds. That's what your time there is going to be like. Also, the official types and officers have no sense of humour. The French PM just visited there and there was a hue and a cry about whether his girlfriend should/could come along and if so whether she would have the same status normally given to a foreign leader's wife.

Yeah, it definitely was. She explained the difference between the guarded/"safe" parts, and outside the walls where you're on your own.

She said there's still a lot to do, but you don't see "all" of it, which she said has just been in the last years sometime, as when she was younger you could go out into different areas and not have to worry about security as much.

That's what I mean too- it specifically states that you have to have a valid marriage license or certificate to go w/ someone who isn't direct family. So, yeah. It's looking bleak ATM, so we'll see...

• Members

ooh i thought you were dating some middle eastern chick. some of them are pretty hot. i bet they all have huge bushes tho.

With her ethnicity, she kinda fits in tho. :) Very dark skin, jet black hair, striking features. I scored big time, honestly. :)

• Moderators

There are many ways to make it a business trip. You could be interviewing with the father's company. You could be going for journalism, for a story for your school paper or company newsletter. You could be investigating possible business opportunities there. Those are just the possibilities off the top of my head. The point is, if you want to go, apply for a visa, don't just assume you can't get one. If you assume the answer is no, it will be. If you assume the answer will be yes, it might be.

Archived