Pot- stirring: Van Halen vs. Van Hagar?

Funkee1

• Members

This has been debated ad nauseum around here, but I heard "Right now" on the radio yesterday, and really dug it! It had been a while since I heard it.

It's a frikkin great tune!!!

So here is my stance on the different versions of Van Halen:

They should never be compared to each other, because it's two different bands.

Van Halen with Diamond Dave= good fun party band.

Van Halen with Sammy Hagar= Great, tight, consice hit machine.

Either eincarnation has an amazing sound, and they are just different.

Agree? Disagree? Discuss!

• Members

This has been debated ad nauseum around here, but I heard "Right now" on the radio yesterday, and really dug it! It had been a while since I heard it.

It's a frikkin great tune!!!

I hate that song! I hate all Van Hagar. :mad:

Sammy Hagar should {censored}ing DIE!!

Van Halen with Diamond Dave= 100% awesome

Van Halen with Sammy Hagar= 100% crap

never has a band gone from being so great to so {censored}ty as VH between the 1984 album (awesome!) and the 5150 album ({censored}). :mad: It is truly remarkable.

• Members

You're kidding, right? You actually like stuff like 'Panama' or "You can't imagine what your image means, I guess I'll never learn"????

The Dave era died long before Roth left the band; the last couple records with him were crap. The first couple of Van Hagar albums, otoh, had life in them.

I hate that song! I hate all Van Hagar.

• Members

:mad:

never has a band gone from being so great to so {censored}ty as VH between the 1984 album (awesome!) and the 5150 album ({censored}).
It is truly remarkable.

You should head over to the RothArmy site - this rhetoric is mild compared to what passes muster over there.

;)

• Members

Well, I certainly prefer Poundcake, Love comes Walking in and Dreams to a lot of the Roth Era stuff.

Runnin with the Devil, Mean Streets, Take your Whiskey home, and a few others are awesome, but they had some duds in there too. Their cover od Pretty Woman comes to mind. Cheez Whiz to the max!!!

• Members

never has a band gone from being so great to so {censored}ty as VH between the 1984 album (awesome!) and the 5150 album ({censored}).
It is truly remarkable.

+1

• Members

prefer the Dave version, but "back then"...not the fiasco that's touring now. :freak:

In fact, I liked them on their first two albums. I liked songs off the other albums of course, but the first two were really tight and Dave hadn't turned into a total ham/asshole/self-absorbed-jerk yet. Well, not a SUPER version of it at least. :D

• Members

I prefer the original, the Sammy version had some ok stuff too. Dave's a way bigger asshole, though, really utterly intolerable as a human being.

I don't know about that. He's changed in his old age. He was doing anonymous EMT work in New York saving lives and going through some personal soul searching a few years ago...IIRC...

• Members

The first couple of Van Hagar albums, otoh, had
life
in them.

Yeah, they did.

But Eddie's writing style changed a lot too; the soaring major-scale based chorus's of songs like "Dreams" were far and away from the root/5th, pentatonic, natural minor type of approach they were using before.

It's almost like VH sat around and listened to Boston records, learned the major scale, and decided it should be in every chorus, of every song, from here on out :lol:

• Members

I don't know about that. He's changed in his old age. He was doing anonymous EMT work in New York saving lives and going through some personal soul searching a few years ago...IIRC...

Yeah, I remember that, and being impressed by it. Then later, I saw him in public music appearances and interviews and it's the same ol' schtick. Maybe it's all an act now (or even before), but I somehow doubt it. Still, the EMT stuff was cool of him to do, as long as it was sincere and not just planned publicity to counteract his image problems...

• Moderators

I like both versions having liked VH I when it hit the shelf, but I always liked Van Hagar better. Sammy filled some space with his guitar, so Eddie's wankerage factor decreased significantly. That's why Van Hagar was a hit machine. . . . . . .less wanking.

• Members

As a huge Van Halen fan let me say this, 1984 was a great album for... 1984. 5150, OU812 and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge are still great albums. Just as Van Halen 1, II, Fair warning and Woman and Children first. After that, the band kind of lost some steam. Just as after Balance with Sammy. Seems that they need a new lead singer every so often to get the juices flowing again. By the way we all agree that VH III never happened, right?

• Members

That's why Van Hagar was a hit machine. . . . . . .less wanking.

And more major-scale - the Boston approach. :lol:

Much early VH was "limited" by Roth's limited vocal range.

I think that worked will with Ed's early, minimalist approach on songs like Runnin' With the Devil.

He stretched out more, for sure, with Hagar - but his formula grew stale, and his tone - impotent.

If only he could have kept some of the raw, punk like agression from the first album....

1984 was the last album/tour using his original variac'ed marshall rig. :cry:

His tone reached an all time low on "Balance" - he had that watery chorus on EVERYTHING. :arg:

Thank you, thank you Wolfgang, for talking some sense into your old man and getting him back to his tonal and musical roots! :thu:

Archived