5-string suggestions in the $1000-$2000 range?

82Daion

• Members

Looks like I'm changing basses again, as I can't afford to keep the Alembic.

So, I'm looking to get a quality bass that I don't have to take out a loan to buy.

Preferably, I'd be after something in the $1000-2000 range, as stated in the title. New or used.

So, considering these factors, I'm looking at:

New Music Man 5-string (Bongo, SR5)

Used Modulus Quantum (5 or 6)

Used Zon Sonus 5

Used Warwick (Thumb NT, SSII, ?)

Anyone have any other suggestions? Fender-style basses aren't my thing, but otherwise, I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to basses.

If you're looking for a tried and true work horse, you can't beat the quantum, IMO. Wash and Wear.

• Members

Man, that was your dream bass, are you sure there's no possible way you can keep it? Could you sell a cab or amp or something to get by until you can save up a little more? It really sucks if you have to let it go so soon, hopefully you could figure out a way to keep it...

• Members

Man, that was your dream bass, are you sure there's no possible way you can keep it? Could you sell a cab or amp or something to get by until you can save up a little more? It really sucks if you have to let it go so soon, hopefully you could figure out a way to keep it...

I agree, is there any way you can keep it? Does it have to go? Its going to be more expensive if you want to get another one down the line.

• Members

Yeah my Q5 has been dually spoken for, but one has backed out, and the other is iffy, but I'd love for you to have it if they both back out, which happens a lot on TB... :mad:

And if you wanted I'd cut you a deal on this Thumb 6. It truly is impeccable, and by far one of the comfiest basses I've ever played, even being a 6'er.

There is also a Q6 on TB right now in a sweet burst finish.

• Members

Looks like I'm changing basses again, as I can't afford to keep the Alembic.

So, I'm looking to get a quality bass that I don't have to take out a loan to buy.

Preferably, I'd be after something in the $1000-2000 range, as stated in the title. New or used.

So, considering these factors, I'm looking at:

New Music Man 5-string (Bongo, SR5)

Used Modulus Quantum (5 or 6)

Used Zon Sonus 5

Used Warwick (Thumb NT, SSII, ?)

Anyone have any other suggestions? Fender-style basses aren't my thing, but otherwise, I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to basses.

you just got that bass! You are such a puss:mad:

• Members

I know everyone has there own opinion so here is mine. I'm a Lakland fan through and through. Mine is the 55-02. I didn't see a huge difference in the US made 55-94 to pay the higher price.

Never played an Alembic, they must be killer. Some day maybe. :thu:

• Members

I know everyone has there own opinion so here is mine. I'm a Lakland fan through and through. Mine is the 55-02. I didn't see a huge difference in the US made 55-94 to pay the higher price.

Never played an Alembic, they must be killer. Some day maybe.
:thu:

I have a 55-94, used to have a 55-02 as a backup and the neck on the 94 was much nicer IMO. It was much, much faster and felt more stable -- guess it has something to do with quartersawn vs flatsawn, that's all I can figure. And, even though the electronics are the same, the fact that the -94 cost me $700 more immediately makes it sound a ton better than the cheaper import. :p

Seriously though, I also have a Spector Rebop that has the high end electronics in it, I much prefer the tone of that bass to my Lakland. If I could get the Lakland to sound like my Spector, I'd darn near have my perfect bass.

For the money though, I'd still go with a 55-94. Me loves that bass! :love:

• Members

If you REALLY have to get rid of the Alembic and have no other choice then here's one to think about...

Maybe you could pick up an old Aria Pro II SB?

I know! I know!, I plug these constantly but a good few people at the Alembic forum have them and like 'em. (I lurk there the odd time ;) )

Some have even put Alembic pickups in the basses! :o

I believe the correct term for those basses is Arialembics :lol:

Aria also made an SB with Alembic pickups stock (Model no.: SB-LTD), although these are a bit rare. You can pick up an excellent condition SB for way less than $1K. If you need any tips on where to get them let me know ;)

Oops, just saw you need a 5'er. Oh well, still one to think about if you want a 4 stringer. :)

• Members

If you REALLY have to get rid of the Alembic and have no other choice then here's one to think about...

Maybe you could pick up an old Aria Pro II SB?

I know! I know!, I plug these constantly but a good few people at the Alembic forum have them and like 'em. (I lurk there the odd time
;)
)

Some have even put Alembic pickups in the basses!
:o
I believe the correct term for those basses is Arialembics
:lol:

Aria also made an SB with Alembic pickups stock (Model no.: SB-LTD), although these are a bit rare. You can pick up an excellent condition SB for way less than $1K. If you need any tips on where to get them let me know
;)

Oops, just saw you need a 5'er. Oh well, still one to think about if you want a 4 stringer.
:)

82 has played my passive SB-900

• Members

82 has played my passive SB-900

I've played the old Arias, as Hammer said, and they're excellent basses-probably in my top 3 passive basses ever. I liked everything about them-actually, in some ways, I like them more than the Daion. :eek:

I'm just thankful that I can keep the Alembic.

Archived