OT: Just Got Off of Nutrisystem...

RSBro

• Members

... and I feel better about it. I still have about a month's worth of food left, but I just don't feel good about eating this much sugar and sodium on a "diet". Not lots of fat or cals, but those other two worry and bother me more than fat and cals. Plus, pre-packaged sealed food every day can't be good for you in the long run.

• Members

I've always wondered about that.

I've been told by some people to watch sodium intake, told by others not to pay particular attention to it, etc...

It wouldn't bother me if EVERYthing I ate every day wasn't at such a high amount that it jumped out at me.

Plus, the sugars are outta control.

• CMS Author

Have you seen a doctor? If you have either blood pressure or blood sugar problems, the sugar/salt can be a real problem and they'd advise against that diet plan. But if they aren't an issue (what's your family history...any hypertension or diabetes?) then if it's otherwise working for you and will break you from past poor eating or overeating habits, maybe it's okay.

Another thing to consider....see if you now know enough to make the same foods in the same quantities (it's portion control that sinks us Americans) but with sane amounts of carbs and salts. Gotta be cheaper too.....

• Members

Have you seen a doctor? If you have either blood pressure or blood sugar problems, the sugar/salt can be a real problem and they'd advise against that diet plan. But if they aren't an issue (what's your family history...any hypertension or diabetes?) then if it's otherwise working for you and will break you from past poor eating or overeating habits, maybe it's okay.

Another thing to consider....see if you now know enough to make the same foods in the same quantities (it's portion control that sinks us Americans) but with sane amounts of carbs and salts. Gotta be cheaper too.....

No I'm very healthy overall, no family history of real high BP or heart issues, but it's just I don't want to be pumping this much in my system if I don't absolutely have to and it come back to bite me years down the line.

The good thing about it is it has really helped shrink my stomach a bit and got me to eat just smaller amounts during the day.

I'm starting my CPA review courses tomorrow, which is an hour drive there and back every M/W, so I'm gonna start replacing dinner w/ a Slim Fast and some nuts or cheese & crackers on the way.

Stopping at Taco Cabana every once in a while will be tough to resist, but I can do it. :) If there's one thing I'll never do again that I learned while playing music, is Whataburger or Jack in the Box stops between 2-5 AM. :)

• CMS Author

No I'm very healthy overall, no family history of real high BP or heart issues, but it's just I don't want to be pumping this much in my system if I don't absolutely have to and it come back to bite me years down the line.

The good thing about it is it has really helped shrink my stomach a bit and got me to eat just smaller amounts during the day.

I'm starting my CPA review courses tomorrow, which is an hour drive there and back every M/W, so I'm gonna start replacing dinner w/ a Slim Fast and some nuts or cheese & crackers on the way.

Stopping at Taco Cabana every once in a while will be tough to resist, but I can do it.
:)
If there's one thing I'll never do again that I learned while playing music, is Whataburger or Jack in the Box stops between 2-5 AM.

Ewww......Slim Fast shakes = sugar. They also seem, at least for me, to make me even hungrier than before I drank them.

Your portion control seems to be doing the trick. Just make normal meals in smaller sizes, and you should be able to keep in the right direction. If you can find time to add a long walk every day or two, it'll really help. I lost 30 lb last year by doing nothing more than walking every day.

• Members

Ewww......Slim Fast shakes = sugar. They also seem, at least for me, to make me even hungrier than before I drank them.

Your portion control seems to be doing the trick. Just make normal meals in smaller sizes, and you should be able to keep in the right direction. If you can find time to add a long walk every day or two, it'll really help. I lost 30 lb last year by doing nothing more than walking every day.

What's crazy is, I just looked last night and one can = 18g of sugar. One dessert bar I have per day is that much, and that's not counting my breakfasts lunches snacks or dinners every day.

But, I'll actually only drink those during the drive there or back, so only twice a week.

I'm just better now over my flu where I can get back on the treadmill, thank God. I ran for 25 mins last night and boy was I hurting. :) Been about 5 weeks off.

• Members

I can't stand treadmills, i've done too much real running to become a hamster =P. Diet is only ever half of any equation, activity being the other. I recently started working out again, hopefully to be in shape by summer, maybe even spring break! I also stopped eating fast food and avoid snacking.

The best thing that I did was I stopped drinking soda... maybe one a day. Other than that, tea for energy and fruit juices for sugar, because fructose is a better sugar for you than glucose, given that your body has to work to break it down.

It amazes me how little people on average know about how the body handles certain types of foods.

• Members

I can't stand treadmills, i've done too much real running to become a hamster =P. Diet is only ever half of any equation, activity being the other. I recently started working out again, hopefully to be in shape by summer, maybe even spring break! I also stopped eating fast food and avoid snacking.

The best thing that I did was I stopped drinking soda... maybe one a day. Other than that, tea for energy and fruit juices for sugar, because fructose is a better sugar for you than glucose, given that your body has to work to break it down.

It amazes me how little people on average know about how the body handles certain types of foods.

I can't run outside w/ my bad ankles- believe me wish I could!

And I've gotten off of FF and sodas too. Coffee (one cup a day during tax season), and tea and water the rest of the day and I'm good.

So what's better- a Monster Low Carb XL or a bottle of apple juice? :)

• Members

So what's better- a Monster Low Carb XL or a bottle of apple juice?

A bottle of water...

Fresh apple juice is ok, but the processed stuff they have in stores is also loaded with crap that our bodies don't need.

If you really want something that tastes decent, but has nothing in it...mix up some Crystal Light. It's pretty tasty...

• Members

There's a recent study that showed carbohydrates (i.e., sugars) produce a drop in one of the main enzymes that tells your body you're hungry, but then a sharper upswing. So depending on the type of carb (and in slimfast it's either fructose or sucrose, both of which are metabolized quickly), you could definitely be feeling hungrier afterwards...

• CMS Author

There's a recent study that showed carbohydrates (i.e., sugars) produce a drop in one of the main enzymes that tells your body you're hungry, but then a sharper upswing. So depending on the type of carb (and in slimfast it's either fructose or sucrose, both of which are metabolized quickly), you could definitely be feeling hungrier afterwards...

I thought I had read something about this. It was related to Luther Vandross, who had a terrible time with what he called a carb addiction. That poor guy couldn't eat a cracker without going on a carb binge. It took him years to identify this. Years of bad eating habits that evetually killed him.:cry:

• Members

There was a recent study done on sodium and they basically concluded that sodium intake doesn't matter as long as you get recommended amount of a certain vitamin..I can't remember which one but it was in Mens Health, I'll have to look it up when I get home.

Sugar is not your friend though if you are trying to lose fat.

Dan

Archived