Don't ever try to play an acoustic bass with a drumset and another guitar.

Conformer

• Members

I played a bon fire party Friday night, and wasn't told a drummer would be there. When I saw him setting up, I told the guitarist all I had was an acoustic bass.

He said he told him to not play hard at all because all he had was a acoustic guitar.

Didn't matter! I plucked that thing hard to be even slightly heard, and I got two massive blisters from it. One is full of blood on my middle finger, the other on my ring finger is full of puss. It was about 21 degrees, and I had to drink some booze to diminish the pain.

I tried playing with a pick....but playing with a pick is like having sex with a blow up doll, it just doesn't feel right.

So true to my stubborn nature, I played with my fingers. I got triple plucking down pretty good and thats how I like to play.

Just not on an acoustic bass with my fingers, against a drummer, (all he had brought was his snare, high hat, small crash and bass drum) and guitarist who is singing.

Amazingly enough people said the bass sounded good!

Trust me. I PLUCKED REALLY FREAKIN HARD!!!!!

• Members

I played a bon fire party Friday night, and wasn't told a drummer would be there. When I saw him setting up, I told the guitarist all I had was an acoustic bass.

He said he told him to not play hard at all because all he had was a acoustic guitar.

Didn't matter! I plucked that thing hard to be even slightly heard, and I got two massive blisters from it. One is full of blood on my middle finger, the other on my ring finger is full of puss. It was about 21 degrees, and I had to drink some booze to diminish the pain.

I tried playing with a pick....but playing with a pick is like having sex with a blow up doll, it just doesn't feel right.

So true to my stubborn nature, I played with my fingers. I got triple plucking down pretty good and thats how I like to play.

Just not on an acoustic bass with my fingers, against a drummer (all he had brought was his snare, high hat, small crash and bass drum) A guitarist who is singing.

lol... sounds like something I'd do... love that quote btw.

• Members

I like that feeling. I can overpower my friend on drums(no small feat). He beats the hell out of his kit with big and heavy sticks. When I play he likes the bass to shake him, he never tells me to turn own.

Incidentally I have nails popping out of my Sheetrock:confused:

• Members

Just not on an acoustic bass with my fingers, against a drummer, (all he had brought was his snare, high hat, small crash and bass drum) and guitarist who is singing.

Amazingly enough people said the bass sounded good!

Trust me. I PLUCKED REALLY FREAKIN HARD!!!!!

Well, I thought about this for while. Even though I hate playing with a pick, I would have in this situation. Being a bon fire there probably wasn't power easily available for an amp. If there was power I try to use any amp, though, and continue with the finger-plucking:thu:

• Members

I love picks. Fingerstyle is great, but the clarity and punch a pick is capable of can very rarely come close to being matched with fingerstyle playing, and that usually takes a combination of a strong player with a bass suited to his/her hands and well dialed in amp. Less annoying than slap too. JMO.

Anyway I've always thought acoustic basses were a fraud. They are inherently not capable of much volume or projection partly due to the range they cover so they aren't really heard much unless amplified....which brings us right back to the electric. Hope your blisters heal quickly!

• Members

I'd like an acoustic bass guitar mostly because I do most of my practicing unplugged.

That's the only real use I can think of for an ABG, for anything else they are unusable unless miked/amped/something, so what is the point? Acoustic bass means upright. ABG's are pointless.

• Members

That's the only real use I can think of for an ABG, for anything else they are unusable unless miked/amped/something, so what is the point? Acoustic bass means upright. ABG's are pointless.

I can see wanting one for a different tone as well. Miking one, as you would an acoustic guitar, in the studio would be cool.

Archived