My neice is taking guitar lessons

gspointer

• Members

She is ten years old. She has been taking lessons from her piano teacher for a few minutes after her piano lessons are over. She has been doing this for 8 months. I don't know what she is learning, but I would assume it is mostly scales and exersices. Her current teacher is using standard sheet music. They have a friend that is taking lessons from a guitar player, and he knows a couple of songs. He has only had lessons for 3 months. They are planning on switching to the local guitar teacher. He disagrees with teaching sheet music, as he feels it is antiquated and no longer useful. I disagree. Personally I wish I had learned sheet music, scales and theory first. Am I just behind the times, or what do you all think.

• Members

I'm glad I took Piano and learned to read sheet music. I'm 23, so I'm still a "young 'un" as far as this board is concerned. The fact that I know theory made the transition from piano to bass a lot easier, and makes the lines I write more interesting, IMO. Is she dropping the Piano lessons? if she takes both, she'll get the theory from piano, the guitar stuff from the teacher, and eventually she'll apply the theory to guitar.

• Members

It's easier for the teacher 'cause HE probably doesn't know how to read standard notation.

+1

I read tab solely for about 5 years, last year I went in search of a bass teacher to help me with my playing but also focus on reading standard notation.

Personally I think music makes more sense when I see it written down in notation. In tab, its just a bunch of numbers.

Archived