Whats a good starter bass?

stent

• Members

I have no clue about basses but am looking for a decent entry level bass and small amp. My friend has a Peavey Millenium jazz bass type thing and practice amp which i think plays and sounds really nice. any opinions on other beginners basses? probably less than

• Members

That Peavey is about as good as it get in that price range.

My daughter has a cheap Ibanez and a Peavey AC BXP Millenium.

The Peavey is pretty good outa the box and the Ibby, I had to sink another $165 at a local Luthier to make it comparable.

• Members

Thanks for the advice. I've been playing electric guitar for 9 years so I know a bit about tone and playability and I agree, the peavey millenium I played had a fantastic neck (for my hands anyway).

Any thoughts on practice amps? I know from guitar playing that I won't get something amazing on a budget but is there anything to steer clear of? Like I said before my friend's peavey practice amp actually sounded really good (to my bass noob ears)

• Members

See if you can find a used Mexican Fender bass - Jazz or Precision, really personal preference. Nothing at all wrong with MIM Fenders as a starter instrument - some guys upgrade the pickups and they become keepers.

You could go SX, something like $150 new, but made in China. Kind of like shopping at Walmart, if that doesn't bother you.

• Members

For a practice amp I use the Orange 35B. It sounds amazing for what it is and can be had pretty cheaply too, this link will take you to it, http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/p.php?n=39

On that page there are a few but the Orange is WAY better in my opinion, and there are 2 of 'em. The 20B is really small n cute looking too!

As for things to stay away from, anything with the word 'BEHRINGER' on it!#

Also, I just found this, looks like a really good deal, http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/69480

Archived