What cabinet would you get?

eldaar

• Members

I'm a guitarist turned bass-player in a metal band. I play an old Kramer bass (can't find much info about it, but it's similar to this one: http://www.kramerguitars.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=13), and just picked up an Ampeg B2R. Now all I need is a cabinet and I have about $450 to spend.

If you were in my shoes, what kind of cabinet would you buy?

I really have my eye on an Avatar B410 NEO. But I don't know too much about bass cabinets, so let me know what you play and what you recommend. (My guitarists each play through their own 4x12, so I figure a 4x10 or a 2x15 is probably what I'm looking for, but tell me if something else would work).

• Members

try them both and see what you dig. Personally I prefer 2x15 cabs over 4x10's. Right now I'm using a 1x15 and a 2x12. And as soon as I have the fundage I'll be finishing up my 2x15 cab which I'll add to my arsenal

I like 215s for classic rock and blues, but prefer 10s and 18s for metal and modern rock... If you shop around, you might find a used Ampeg SVT410-HLF within your budget - or better yet, under your circumstances - two used Peavey 410s *could* be had within your budget, and would help in your current band situation... Another good solution would be a Peavey 410 and a Peavey 210(again used) - that would allow you to be heard with 2 half stacks, yet give you some versatility...

I think that without enough speakers, you *might* be in trouble volume-wise... in my experience, the B2R isn't all that loud...

- georgestrings

• Members

The other advantage to the Avatar Neo cabs is their weight.

The 410 weighs 60 pounds. Your average 410 cab usually weighs 90.

I thank myself at the end of every gig, when it's 2 o'clock in the morning, and I've had a few beers, and I wanna just get home to bed, that I can pretty much lift that cab by the handle with one hand and not kill my back.

• Members

The B2R is insanely quiet. Even with two 4x10s I was way too quiet.

You are going to want a very efficient 2x12 at least, I would say. I'd skip 10s unless they're in a very efficient cab (e.g. a Dr> Bass 3x10 or something).

I'd recommend you check out Dr. Bass, or try to find a used Genz Neox212T or something.

A peavey 2x15 or something might work, too. those you can find in pawnshops all the time. go try them out:)

Archived