My cheapo SX sounds better than my active 5er and my MTD...

willbill0587

• Members

My 5er has basically active EMG soapbars on it with a 3 band EQ, then I have my MTD with the std MM style pup. Both sound really good.

Then, I have my cheapo SX, all I did was change all of the electrics to CTS 250k pots and jack and use the vintage style cloth coated wire stuff and install the DiMarzio UltraJazz set, but when I plug it in, it kicks the living daylights out of the other two, it even made my P bass with the EMG in it sound bad and its got just as much output as the active.

The only thing that puts me off it is the SX neck, and I can't get a replacement Jazz neck because the neck pocket on the SX is bigger.

So, I need a new body and neck. A few come up on ebay now and then but, would you go with the std Jazz bass styling, or would you get something else with J routed holes in it. I find the Fender style to be really comfortable but I don't know, what would you do if you were in my shoes?

I know a few peeps here do their own basses, any input would be great.

• Members

My 5er has basically active EMG soapbars on it with a 3 band EQ, then I have my MTD with the std MM style pup. Both sound really good.

Then, I have my cheapo SX, all I did was change all of the electrics to CTS 250k pots and jack and use the vintage style cloth coated wire stuff and install the DiMarzio UltraJazz set, but when I plug it in, it kicks the living daylights out of the other two, it even made my P bass with the EMG in it sound bad and its got just as much output as the active....

My SX PJ sounds better than many more expensive basses I've heard/played.

Weird! :freak::)

Stock pups, CTS 250's, Switchcraft jack, Gotoh bridge.

I've got less than $200 in it.

• Members

yo willbill - I feel ya....I've been asked to audition for a group where I'm thinking my sx p is gonna be the logical place to start....

I put a set of duncan 1/4 pounders in it and changed out the pots about 2 years ago...it became my go to axe and I gigged with it exclusively for quite awhile.

edit - forgot that I also installed a Gotoh 201 bridge which I like better than the BAII on my jazz.../edit

since then I've put fretless neck on my jazz (loaded with DiM UJs) and I bought a Lakland 44-02. So the sx has been sitting on the sidelines for about a year....

this Sat. will be the first audition/rehearsal and I'm really excited about getting reacquainted with my sx....

I really like the neck on mine although of the 3, my favorite is the mighty mite fretless I installed on the j....it's feels custom made for me...

bottom line...my humble (I painted the guard with black primer) sx can more than hold itself with some pretty stiff competition...:thu:

(here's the stock photo....the guard on mine is now black....still selling for $109 :love:)

\spb623ts1.jpg

• Members

My SX PJ sounds better than many more expensive basses I've heard/played.

Weird!
:freak::)

Stock pups, CTS 250's, Switchcraft jack, Gotoh bridge.

I've got less than $200 in it.

i thought that too and i have the same mods done to mine. then i played my fender american P for the first time and that theory was out tha door.

• Members

Then, I have my cheapo SX, all I did was change all of the electrics to CTS 250k pots and jack and use the vintage style cloth coated wire stuff and install the DiMarzio UltraJazz set

The only thing that puts me off it is the SX neck, and I can't get a replacement Jazz neck because the neck pocket on the SX is bigger.

So, I need a new body and neck. .

sooooooo.....

all it needed was new pickups, electronics, neck, and body......

• Members

Then, I have my cheapo SX, all I did was change all of the electrics to CTS 250k pots and jack and use the vintage style cloth coated wire stuff and install the DiMarzio UltraJazz set, but when I plug it in, it kicks the living daylights out of the other two, it even made my P bass with the EMG in it sound bad and its got just as much output as the active.

So, I need a new body and neck. A few come up on ebay now and then but, would you go with the std Jazz bass styling, or would you get something else with J routed holes in it. I find the Fender style to be really comfortable but I don't know, what would you do if you were in my shoes?

I know a few peeps here do their own basses, any input would be great.

Those DiMarzio UltraJazz pickups kick ass.

• Members

I got the SX when everybody on here was getting them so, anyway, now I know I love the Jazz tone, I want it in a better package, I'll put the stock stuff back in the SX and keep it for something, I dunno what, it miht come in handy one day.

Yeah, agreed, the UltraJs kick ass, I wonder what their vintage pups are like?

• Members

I've been learning that the pickups can make a huge difference in a bass' tone, and it's not always the easiest thing to find the perfect pickups for each bass. Also the overall quality of the bass is not as important as just a solid neck joint, and good pups and electrics as far as tone is concerned. Playability, build and finish quality cost money, and are worth the expense to me but when it comes down to how a bass sounds, killer flamed maple and mirror-like gloss poly don't really make much difference.

Archived