full band practice with new Stingray HH, question about tone

roosterbass

• Members

So i practiced with my new stingray last nite and i can say that i absolutely love it. The playability is amazing on these basses and it fit so comftorably and played so well. The sound was very good in my opinion and the range of tones available with two pickups and the 3band eq is great and useful, especially the eq.

now my only issue.....i noticed a slight lack of punch and deep low end i like in my sound. i mainly had the pickups using all 4 humbuckers, i need to experiment more with the settings and the eq had boosted lows, mids flat and rolled treble. I know there are two single coil pickup configurations, does anyone have any experience with this bass and ways to get a nice feel it in your chest punch?

• Members

I'm surprised you say that. I mainly use it with just the bridge humbucker...and it's got a ton of punch. If I want a smoother more low end heavy type of sound, I'll use both humbuckers.

On all of my basses I have the bass boosted a smidge, with the mids and treble flat. On the amps, I usually have the mids boosted, with bass and treble flat.

Stingray's take some time to EQ right so they sit in the mix well, so my guess is that you just need more time with it.

• Members

yah im assuming thats part of the issue, i do LOVE the bass though, it plays so damn well, i just need to do some fine eqing on my head and bass....going to put a brande new battery in it as well, that may have somethign to do with it seeing how it got it at GC...ill try some other pickup configurations, and see waht happens..im also using flats, just an fyi

• Members

the flats are brand new, labellas, so that may be the issue...i have an old set of chromes im thinking of putting on there just to see what a broken in set will do, im using a 410 neo and a gbe 600. i put the lf extend on and boosted the lows and mid lows a bit on my head. i know the 410 isnt the lowest of lows cabinet but ive been using it for a while with this head and know the sounds it can get

• Members

the flats are brand new, labellas, so that may be the issue...i have an old set of chromes im thinking of putting on there just to see what a broken in set will do, im using a 410 neo and a gbe 600. i put the lf extend on and boosted the lows and mid lows a bit on my head. i know the 410 isnt the lowest of lows cabinet but ive been using it for a while with this head and know the sounds it can get

4X10's are just fine for lows. Most of them have a better low end frequency response than 1X15's.

Flats are usually pretty bright out of the box, so they may just need to be broken in. I'm using stainless strings on mine...which are super bright, and I'm not having any trouble with the lows.

Just keep messing with it just a little more and you'll find your sound! It took me some time as well.

Just an FYI: If the battery was bad, would have some distortion in your sound, so I doubt that's got much to do with it. Give it a shot though...

• Members

Bridge humbucker

Bass boosted a touch

Mids flat

Treble flat

+1

It will take your ears a bit to get used to that tone, but in a band setting it has a really supportive presence.

Coils 2+3(second position from neck) are great for fingerstyle, too.

Probably not the most helpful piece of info, but the H/S models do a significantly better job trying to mimic a (active)P-bass

Either way, the 3-band EQ on the Stingray really rewards thoughtful boosts/cuts (i.e. don't go overboard)

• Members

haha yah..i know what a pbass sounds like and i do love that sound but i want my only bass to be a bit more versatile than a P

Question: What size of cab are you running?

The reason I ask is that the high-end of the 'Ray(when I had one--it was a single Humbucker, though, so take this with a tiny grain of salt) was way over-dominant and even brittle-sounding when I was playing it through only a 4x10. Add the 1x15, good to go. Go with a 2x15, better to go. :D

Possibly better results with a 2x12 or a 4x12, I've only tried a 2x12 in tandum with a 4x10 on a backlined Hartke :freak: stack. Believe it or else, it actually sounded good. :D

2nd Question: Are you a pick player?

If so, the earlier question becomes even more important.

Again, I was only using a single bucker Ray, so you should have a lot more tonal variety to play with. Keep at it, it's in there!

Or there's always the P bass. Don't question the universe if you find yourself there some day.

• Members

i play all fingerstyle...and use a 410, i ahve a 212 at home as well but i dont bring it to my practice room because it is just so damn loud...big live shows i use both, smaller venues jsut the 410.

there is always the p bass and hwo knows maybe ill visit it someday soon

• Members

i play all fingerstyle...and use a 410, i ahve a 212 at home as well but i dont bring it to my practice room because it is just so damn loud...big live shows i use both, smaller venues jsut the 410.

there is always the p bass and hwo knows maybe ill visit it someday soon

Try the 212...sincerely! That Ray has all the trebbly high end goodness you need. You won't need the 410.

I'd wager a beer on it. :thu:

• Members

a beer? you think an aggie 212 will hold up to a very loud drummer, guitarist who plays through a damn 410 stack, trumpet player and lead vocalist running through two huge mackie speakers?

Okay, run em down...

Wattage and ohmage!

Then I'll decide what kind of beer. :D

• Members

a beer? you think an aggie 212 will hold up to a very loud drummer, guitarist who plays through a damn 410 stack, trumpet player and lead vocalist running through two huge mackie speakers?

You've got an Aggie GS212 and you're not using it? It is a 4 ohm cab? Then...yes...absolutely!

Archived