i need to solo in g minor... help!

boscal45

• Members

at practice for the musical tonight, our music director asked if i could solo for a bit at the end of one of the songs. my first reaction was to say no, but i figured it would be a good reason to learn how to solo. the only problem is that i dont really know how to start or finish it (except on a G). i know i will have to just feel it, but which minor scale do i follow? is there a finger chart somewhere that would show me where the notes of the scale are on the neck? the chords are "Gm Bb F Gm." do i solo over Gm the whole time, or do i change hand/scale position for each chord?

thanks!

pete

• Members

at practice for the musical tonight, our music director asked if i could solo for a bit at the end of one of the songs. my first reaction was to say no, but i figured it would be a good reason to learn how to solo. the only problem is that i dont really know how to start or finish it (except on a G). i know i will have to just feel it, but which minor scale do i follow? is there a finger chart somewhere that would show me where the notes of the scale are on the neck? the chords are "Gm Bb F Gm." do i solo over Gm the whole time, or do i change hand/scale position for each chord?

thanks!

pete

if the sheet music shows ONE flat, then its a a ii-IV-I-ii out of the key of "F"

if the sheet music has TWO flats, then its a vi- I -V -vi out of Bb

diatonically speaking, for one flat, you can use the Dorian mode for the Gm, Lydian mode for the Bb, and Ionian for the F

for TWO flats, use Aeolian for the Gm, Ionian for Bb, and Mixolydian for the F if the F is dom7 family of chords

...but, in actuality, screw the modes - use them at a reachable distance - and let your bass "sing"...Think of a melody line that can fit with those chords, then SING it -- then play your bass to match what you are singing.... use the "modes" as a safety net: if you are questioning the note in your head/singing that you are trying to match on bass, fall into any of the notes of the mode

• Members

...but, in actuality, screw the modes - use them at a reachable distance - and let your bass "sing"...Think of a melody line that can fit with those chords, then SING it -- then play your bass to match what you are singing.... use the "modes" as a safety net: if you are questioning the note in your head/singing that you are trying to match on bass, fall into any of the notes of the mode

that makes sense.... i think

• Members

...but, in actuality, screw the modes - use them at a reachable distance - and let your bass "sing"...Think of a melody line that can fit with those chords, then SING it

actually you are close....

QUOTE THE MELODY OF THE TUNE!!!! Don't blow chops for the sake of chops... get a copy of the vocal melody and learn it on bass. make a piece of it fit your spot.

• Members

What kind of song is it? This matters because passing tones are interpretted differently in rock than they are in Jazz. When I solo for rock, (power chords make me think it is?) I try to make my solo follow the chord progression, and if you can walk that will help with chord changing

Singing the notes is really the best way. If you sit there and think "I'm gonna use such and such mode to hit this G" you're gonna miss your timing. Let it float from your fingers. If you know this much theory and if you know your fingerboard, you'll hear what's playing in your head through your fingers. If your brain is blotting out that song that's in your head, your solo is gonna suffer.

• Members

Just learn the solo for "Freewill" and throw it in there. I'm pretty sure it's in a key that's similar to F.

C7

rush??? eww....

runs and hides....

i never got into rush. i gave them a fair shot, and i think they are all very talented musicians, but they are just not my thing.

• Members

Just learn the solo for "Freewill" and throw it in there. I'm pretty sure it's in a key that's similar to F.

C7

I say load up on beer and amphetimines and then tear into Pachabels Canon...

try to simulate a real canon ala 1812 Overture for a real memorable solo

Archived