flats or rounds

b_ryceeeee

• Members

I only use rounds, flats just sound dull, worn out, and well flat,.. like how cola thats lost its fizz tastes. Lol.

you can get some good low mid growl out of a set of flats . but not crisp highs that would work good for reggae .

i personally love both. but would have to say go with rounds if you are unsure(at least 90 percent use them) .

because you can always shape your eq for reggae with rounds but if you want to get a sharp attack you aint going to get that with flats .

btw i hate to not say go with flats cos they rule . hatted them at first but after a while...love

• Members

you can get some good low mid growl out of a set of flats . but not crisp highs that would work good for reggae .

i personally love both. but would have to say go with rounds if you are unsure(at least 90 percent use them) .

because you can always shape your eq for reggae with rounds but if you want to get a sharp attack you aint going to get that with flats .

btw i hate to not say go with flats cos they rule . hatted them at first but after a while...love

good advice...you can 'flat' a round but you cant 'round' a flat

rounds growl well on the larger strings..flats are just tubby

they have their place but not universally

• Members

I'd say start with rounds. Then try a set of flats. After that, try a set of grounds.

Bear in mind, stainless steel rounds sound very different from nickel rounds. Also, Chrome flats sound very different from DR flats, which sound very different from Thomastik Infelds.

The D'Addario grounds I have on my fretless now sound quite different from the Ken Smith grounds that were on prior.

I think finding the perfect set of strings is nearly impossible with the choices out there.

• Members

I'd think flats would be ideal for reggae. I have flats on my '62 Jazz reissue and fretless AE P-bass, and they sound great.

Those '62 Reissue Jazz and P Basses are a force to contend with. It's hard to tell if it's the strings that make them sound so good or if it's just a darn good bass.....;)

OMB

• Members

Lots of varied opinions as you would expect. Ultimately it depends on the tone you want. Personally I'd go with TI Jazz flats. As flats go, they are quite bright with emphasis on the mid range. They also have very low tension which does n't suit everyone.

• Members

On my Peavey T-40 I use Rotosound Monel flats (45-105) and they are great for a deep blues sound, of course you can tweek one of them old birds to make about any sound you want so who knows if it's really the strings. I have an Epiphone that I still have rounds on, just in case, but I guess I'm so used to the flats that it just doesn't sound right to me. Like everyone else is saying...it's personal preference. Try both, see what you like, they are just strings and you can change them.

• Members

Those '62 Reissue Jazz and P Basses are a force to contend with. It's hard to tell if it's the strings that make them sound so good or if it's just a darn good bass.....
;)

OMB

I agree about the flats. But I have to tell ya I bought, and since sold, a cheap P bass copy on ebay that had better output than a '62 reissue. I played at a blues jam here in Cleveland and the guy who played just before me had one of those reissues and I left the settings the same, plugged in and wasn't he surprised! I asked if he had his volume down on his bass and he said no! The cheapster had better output and the tone wasn't different enough for anyone to notice. It was a fun night because me with my no name bass got more attention than any of them.

I'm having too much fun.

• Members

Since I went back to flats aboot a year ago I really can't imagine going back to rounds, I use chromes and they pretty much are the end of the road for me, I've tried at least 10-15 sets of other various strings (most of em rounds) and these do exactly what I want em to...Deep full bass with nice attack and definition...The only thing they underperform in (like all flats) is slapping, but I only slap when I feel like it so it's no big deal for me.

Archived