Holy Double-Bubble, Batman - An 8-String URB

DevilRaysFan

• Members

Those ERGO's are pretty nice. We have one at our school that I play around on every once and awhile. He has to unwind the top layer of the E string at the tuning peg a bit because the thickness gets in the way of his headstock design. He seals the unwinding up pretty slick-like though so it isn't too much of an eyesore.

• Members

The first thing I thought when I saw that was, "How do you play that with your fingers?" I've tried playing an 8 string electric without a pick and found that it's extremely difficult to the point where I don't even try anymore. I don't know if that's just me, but I can't see playing an 8 string upright would be any easier.

• Members

The first thing I thought when I saw that was, "How do you play that with your fingers?" I've tried playing an 8 string electric without a pick and found that it's extremely difficult to the point where I don't even try anymore. I don't know if that's just me, but I can't see playing an 8 string upright would be any easier.

Dude, I play a 12ver with fingers :D:thu:

TonySferlazza1x.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It actually plays easier than my Carruthers SUB-1. The neck is thinner, position markers help cheat, and the action is much lower. It sounds good, but not as warm as the Carruthers, though neither one wood fool an experienced ear into mistaking it for a real bass. If I want the octave string to be distinct, it's another story - it will take some getting used to sounding both strings on that huge, radiused neck. NO controls of any kind. Really just one problem I have with it. The ad mentions it's a prototype and the production version will have some minor changes - these changes, presumably, would make it possible to tune to standard pitch.

The headstock is set pretty far back from the nut, and the tuners are pretty close to the nut. This means that past the nut, the strings are at a very sharp angle to the tuners. The "G" string gets halfway between F and F#, no higher. The angle is so steep that after that point the string slips out of the slot in the tuner shaft and drops back down to F. So I guess it's going to be tuned down a step.

Don't suppose anybody makes a bass guitar tuner with an extra long shaft? That would do the trick, I can't think of any other solution that I could manage myself that wouldn't be hideously ugly.

Archived