first project bass

pbass_groovin

• Members

what happened with your bass project? did you finish it?

That project is a long way from being finished. Right now I'm learning how to work with polymer clay. I work on the bass constantly, but over the past couple of weeks I've struggled with a couple of things ... progressively turning yesterday's bad idea into today's less bad idea. I'll post updates when I successfully solve these problems.

• Moderators

That project is a long way from being finished. Right now I'm learning how to work with polymer clay. I work on the bass constantly, but over the past couple of weeks I've struggled with a couple of things ... progressively turning yesterday's bad idea into today's less bad idea. I'll post updates when I successfully solve these problems.

What I've seen from your clay experiments is really f'in cool! :thu:

• Members

That's going to be a kick-ass project!

I've practically been spending more time modding my jazz basses than playing them.

Last month, I compiled all the GC giftcards I got for x-mas, and picked up the fretless squire. Threw on a tort pickguard from warmoth (required some hacking near the jack plate and neck), did the series/parallel mod. Next will be the bridge.

Just getting started on my mim jazz, did the same series/parallel mod, and copper-taped the hell out of it. Still noisy, so I've ordered some SD pickups, along with knurled knobs a pearloid guard. Still trying to find a way to convert it to string-through, but with a bridge as close to the stock pattern as possible.

With all that going on, last weekend I decided to take it to the next level, and ordered a walnut jazz body from Warmoth. Still deciding on the neck, but I'm pretty sure I'm going with wenge along with an ebony fingerboard (fretless, unlined). This one is going to be a slowly progressing b-day gift for myself (end of May).

But yeah, it's almost as much fun building them as playing.

• Members

Dimarzio Willpower Middle pickup. It's an "as big as Texas" tone. If you take advantage of the four-conductor wiring it also gives a scary-good "lead" tone, in-your-face, snarlin' dog.

Yep. Best sounding P-pickup out there, IMO. ;)

Archived