Mogwai

frunobulax

• Members

Happy Songs for Happy People is a decent album but not that representative. In many ways I think it's a poor remake of its forebear (Rock Action)

I would recommend that the budding Mogwai fan gets their debut Young Team. Yes, it's meandering and indulgent ... but it's oh so beautiful.

Plus it's got 'Gwai staples like Tracy, Yes! I am a Long Way From Home, Mogwai Fear Satan and Like Herod.

• Members

Mogwai is an unbelievable band. I can't recommend their stuff enough, and you're opening a door to a very cool world by purchasing one of their records.

For a first timer, I'd probably point to Come on Die Young or Rock Action. Young Team, their debut record, is fantastic, but if you are just venturing into this realm of music it can be a bit of an overload. CODY has an excellent combination of tunes, and even has a hint of vocals, which are not all that common in Mogwai land. I think of Rock Action as their pop record. While it features two tracks falling in the epic Mogwai style, it also has short pieces and an excellent guest appearance by the Super Furry Animals lead singer on "Dial:IO." More recent Mogwai is very, very good, but perhaps a bit denser and more difficult to begin with, at least in my mind. Those are my selections, but feel free to go elsewhere. With Mogwai, it's hard to go wrong.

• Members

The best way to "get into" Mogwai is not to ease into it at all, but to go for complete immersion. Get a hold of everything they've put out, lock yourself into a windowless room, load all the CDs/mp3s/whatever so that they can play continuous, turn out the lights, turn up the speakers (not super loud, but definately up), hit "play", and let yourself go. You will emerge a changed person.

I like Mogwai.

• Members

Government commissions = win.

cody - saddest song ever

Mogwai - only post rock worth bothering about.

No way.

GYBE!, Sigur Ros, Silver Mt Zion, Tortoise, Slint ... all boss

And their saddest song is either 'Tracy' or 'Burn Girl Prom Queen' :cool:

EDIT actually Gov't Commissions might be a good starter becuz it's got a great setlist from the breadth of their career ... defo worth getting unless you just don't like live albums.

• Members

Mogwai is an unbelievable band. I can't recommend their stuff enough, and you're opening a door to a very cool world by purchasing one of their records.

For a first timer, I'd probably point to
Come on Die Young
or
Rock Action
Young Team
, their debut record, is fantastic, but if you are just venturing into this realm of music it can be a bit of an overload.
CODY
has an excellent combination of tunes, and even has a hint of vocals, which are not all that common in Mogwai land. I think of
Rock Action
as their pop record. While it features two tracks falling in the epic Mogwai style, it also has short pieces and an excellent guest appearance by the Super Furry Animals lead singer on "Dial:IO." More recent Mogwai is very, very good, but perhaps a bit denser and more difficult to begin with, at least in my mind. Those are my selections, but feel free to go elsewhere. With Mogwai, it's hard to go wrong.

tbh I suggested Young Team because it just has some of the highest highs in Mogwai's career ... and it's 'beginning at the beginning'. It is a LONG and sprawling album tho. Come On Die Young I feel is similar but just with much lower peaks (I do love Kappa tho)

I would split Mogwai's oeuvre into the early years 1996-2000 with the sprawling, lengthy repetitive minimalist pieces interspersed with short experimental works where the emphasis is on texture and dynamics ... and the later period 2001 - to now where we have shorter, tighter arrangements, less noise, less chaos, more structural diversity ... the last album (Mr Beast) was almost like instrumental metal at times.

Mogwai haven't really put out much that's BAD ... even their EPs are great (my fave release by them is EP+6 which collects their first three EPs onto one CD)

• Members

Happy Songs for Happy People is a decent album but not that representative. In many ways I think it's a poor remake of its forebear (Rock Action)

I would recommend that the budding Mogwai fan gets their debut Young Team. Yes, it's meandering and indulgent ... but it's oh so beautiful.

Plus it's got 'Gwai staples like Tracy, Yes! I am a Long Way From Home, Mogwai Fear Satan and Like Herod.

i suppose you're right.. i just picked rock action for two of my favorite songs by them: killing all the flies and hunted by a freak. upon further review, i think rock action would be a great first choice

• Members

godspeed you black emperor.. sort of in the same vane as mogwai i suppose.. mostly instrumental, very atmospheric rock. very, very good. my favorite album from them is "slow riot for new zero kanada", but i think most people would suggest "lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven". my personal suggestion is you get both :)

Archived