My CRT monitor is making a high-pitched noise...

ToeJamFootball

• Members

It'll either go away on its own or you'll drive yourself nuts. Dell's LCDs are great; their Ultrasharp line is worth the money. However, there are other deals that can be had.

Hanns-G 21.6" Widescreen LCD monitor @ Staples $229 - $40 MIR = $189

I think today's the last day for the sale and that's a stupidly low price for that monitor even without the rebate.

• Members

Same problem on my 5 year old 19" Hansol CRT, but only when I use it in windows, not in OSX. The noise comes and goes as well.

It's not too bad though, as I'll be getting a 24" LCD with both DVI and HDMI, plus a PS3. That way, I can plug both my Macbook Pro and the PS3 in the same monitor, and use it with both systems.

• Members

One of the coils in it is squealing. A simple fix actually, you just have to work on it while it is on... a VERY dangerous thing to do if you do not know exactly what you are doing. Open the back, turn it on and using a NON METALLIC STICK about the size of a new pencil, press on each coil in turn until the squealing stops. Then turn off and squeeze a glob of silicone RTV around the base of the coil. If you do not know what a coil is you have no business inside of that monitor, the voltages present inside when that monitor is on will kill you and three of your best friends!

2nd fix just go buy a new flat screen monitor.. Who still uses CRTs anyway????

• Members

One of the coils in it is squealing. A simple fix actually, you just have to work on it while it is on... a VERY dangerous thing to do if you do not know exactly what you are doing. Open the back, turn it on and using a NON METALLIC STICK about the size of a new pencil, press on each coil in turn until the squealing stops. Then yurn off and squeeze a glob of silicone RTV around the base of the coil. If you do not know what a coil is you have no business inside of that monitor, the voltages present inside when that monitor is on will kill you and three of your best friends!

2nd fix just go buy a new flat screen monitor.. Who still uses CRTs anyway????

EDIT: I'm sorry I went off on you. I had no idea what your qualifications were.

• Members

You are an idiot, beyond belief, and if you've done this, I'm surprised you are not dead.

To the OP, it's probably not worth the trouble to fix it. Just get an LCD-they're now abundant and cheap. Dells are nice monitors, and will perform without issue.

And DO NOT DO WHAT I QUOTED.

Yes , I guess I am an idiot. An Idiot who has a degree in EE. I also worked in design and repair of Crts for over 30 years. I also operated a chain of 3 Electronic repair shops for many years My shop and employees repaired all manner of consumer electronics. Did quite well. Allowed me to support my family and my sports car hobby...Ferrari 308GTB, Porsche 944 and a cute little Mercedes Benz.

Nobody knew you were stupid until you started typing about a subject which you obviously know NOTHING about.

That is the exact procedure to troubleshoot and repair that problem the OP described. I did however warn him that if he did not know what component I was talking about then he obviously did not have the training to open the monitor and attempt it. My number two solution is the one that most people would take.

I hope you play bass better than you give electronic advice.

• Members

Thanks for all the input. I don't plan on fixing it at all, but thanks anyway mcrracer :thu:

I really like the look of the Samsung 206BW, has anyone had any real experience with this one? I don't want anything bigger than 20", down the road I will be adding a second one for use with DAWs. My guitarist has two 22" Dells, and they are just a little too big.

:thu:

• Members

Yes , I guess I am an idiot. An Idiot who has a degree in EE. I also worked in design and repair of Crts for over 30 years. I also operated a chain of 3 Electronic repair shops for many years My shop and employees repaired all manner of consumer electronics. Did quite well. Allowed me to support my family and my sports car hobby...Ferrari 308GTB, Porsche 944 and a cute little Mercedes Benz.

I'm glad you have expensive cars. I feel most inferior now.

Nobody knew you were stupid until you started typing about a subject which you obviously know NOTHING about.

That is the exact procedure to troubleshoot and repair that problem the OP described. I did however warn him that if he did not know what component I was talking about then he obviously did not have the training to open the monitor and attempt it. My number two solution is the one that most people would take.

I hope you play bass better than you give electronic advice.

Well, if that's what you have to do to fix it, that's what you have to do. I know exactly what part you're talking about, as I've been inside many electronic devices myself, but keep in mind that a) some people don't read disclaimers and b) could make a fatal mistake in the process of doing what you suggested, especially if it doesn't solve the problem and they poke around further to try and solve it.

I'm sorry for going so personal in my (admittedly rather reactionary) post, but it's not every day you see someone recommending that someone should go poking around in a device as dangerous as a computer monitor, especially on a bass forum.

• Members

I'm glad you have expensive cars. I feel most inferior now.

Well, if that's what you have to do to fix it, that's what you have to do. I know exactly what part you're talking about, as I've been inside many electronic devices myself, but keep in mind that a) some people don't read disclaimers and b) could make a fatal mistake in the process of doing what you suggested, especially if it doesn't solve the problem and they poke around further to try and solve it.

I'm sorry for going so personal in my (admittedly rather reactionary) post, but it's not every day you see someone recommending that someone should go poking around in a device as dangerous as a computer monitor, especially on a bass forum.

If That's an apology I accept it. I think you went way overboard telling me I was an idiot when I described a procedure that has been in use for as long as crts have been around. Maybe my response was also overboard. But I do not take very well to being called an idiot especially considering I have been working in the industry almost twice as long as you are old.

I gave the proper procedure and the proper warnings.

I had expensive cars, you HAVE expensive basses, you are the better man.

Peace.

• Members

If That's an apology I accept it. I think you went way overboard telling me I was an idiot when I described a procedure that has been in use for as long as crts have been around. Maybe my response was also overboard. But I do not take very well to being called an idiot especially considering I have been working in the industry almost twice as long as you are old.

I gave the proper procedure and the proper warnings.

Peace.

Again, I'm sorry.

I wish you'd included that information about your experience in your original post, as I don't know you and wouldn't have any clue about your time in the industry if you hadn't said anything about it. Had you mentioned it first, I would have had a baseline for evaluating the advice you'd given, and wouldn't have made any post in response.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

• Members

Did quite well. Allowed me to support my family and my sports car hobby...Ferrari 308GTB, Porsche 944 and a cute little Mercedes Benz.

You own a Ferrari and a Porsche?!?

Your penis must be HUGE!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

To be slightly more serious, why would you (and plenty of other folks) bother saying stuff like this?

I understand you were defensive since Daion went off on you (and he's pulled back from his overstatement), but "I make lots of money" isn't citing credentials, it's not establishing the basis of your knowledge, it's posturing and bragging. Having money isn't the same as having expertise, and if you have the latter, why mention the former?

At best it makes you look like an expert who also happens to be pretentious dick, at worst it makes you look like an insecure newbie desperate to save face...It's almost assured you won't impress a single person, and in most cases, it will invoke a negative reaction.

When omitting such nonsense would make you look like a guy who not only knows his {censored} but also doesn't get rattled when someone takes a poke at him, why choose a clearly lesser impression?

Sorry if that seemed overly personal, it's just something I wonder about every time someone says something along those lines (and it happens decently often)...

• Members

:eek:

To be slightly more serious, why would you (and plenty of other folks) bother saying stuff like this?

I understand you were defensive since Daion went off on you (and he's pulled back from his overstatement), but
"I make lots of money"
isn't citing credentials, it's not establishing the basis of your knowledge, it's posturing and bragging. Having money isn't the same as having expertise, and if you have the latter, why mention the former?

At best it makes you look like an expert who also happens to be pretentious dick, at worst it makes you look like an insecure newbie desperate to save face...It's almost assured you won't impress a single person, and in most cases, it will invoke a negative reaction.

When omitting such nonsense would make you look like a guy who not only knows his {censored} but also doesn't get rattled when someone takes a poke at him, why choose a clearly lesser impression?

Sorry if that seemed overly personal, it's just something I wonder about every time someone says something along those lines (and it happens decently often)...

Used to own. Some people spend their money on basses, I spent mine on cars. I can't mention the cars I used to own because this is a bass forum? On The sports cars forum we talk about other things than just cars. But that is not the point.Two of us over reacted, made up an apologized...done deal And you felt you needed to comment because??? This spat is over We don't need you trying to keep it going.

• Members

I can't mention the cars I used to own because this is a bass forum?

You're more than welcome to.

However, you weren't just "discussing cars". You were puffing up your chest and posturing. Claiming that you were "just discussing cars" is bollocks, you wanted to put Daion on the defensive.

That you attempted to relate it to your expertise is what made the comment risible (that you are now trying to say you were "just mentioning" them is equally so)...

Two of us over reacted, made up an apologized...done deal And you felt you needed to comment because??? This spat is over We don't need you trying to keep it going.

First of all, I was writing while the two of you were posting, the resolution wasn't present when I hit the reply button.

Second, I wasn't talking about your issue with Daion. I was commenting specifically on your preening statements about your fancy cars.

I could care less about your tiff with Daion, you were merely a convenient example for a mild rant about bragging on the internet (and on the general 'display' of surrogate phallus cars). As for "keeping your spat going", considering I mentioned it only in passing, I doubt that's likely...

However, if you're still upset, I'm willing to apologize...

Once you explain how your cars directly relate to your specific expertise, I'm more than willing to apologize for my comments (i.e., explain how it directly establishes you as a qualified EE, not merely a financially successful one, and I'll recognize it as germane to the topic and not just an attempt to put someone on the defensive). :D

• Members

I've always been able to solve the CRT squealing noise by changing the refresh rate, either up or down. Usually up if am remembering correctly.

60Hz is sure to give you a headache anyway!

I just changed it and looked at each one, I can't see any difference apart from the resolution being a bit screwed. What exactly does it do?

• Members

Refresh rate = number of times per second the monitor draws the picture onto the screen. Higher rate = (mostly) better. Lower rate = flickering image. AND it also brings lower frequency of the cathode ray transformer coil. At higher rates, the frequency is above human hearing, but at lower rates it can be heard.

Preferably set the refresh rate as high as your monitor will allow (check the "hide modes this monitor can't display" box to be sure). 60 is very low and probably not good for your eyes. You will see the image flicker if you look past the monitor and see the image outside your focal point.

At work I have a 19" CRT that is set to 85Hz. Good stable picture.

When you change the refresh rate, the picture usually gets a little screwed up (most likely the image size), but just readjust it from the monitor's menu and you'll be good to go again.

-DMC-

Archived