Rig Questions

jj97blazer

• Members

Ok I got you. The PA my buddy has isnt enough to push te band so he never uses it. Thats why i was wondering about runnin through the cab i got. Its a Marshall 1x15" 250W at 8ohms. Or could I just run my bass trough the little PA into that Marshall without the stompbox? Our steel player has all the good stuff. lots of GK stuff.

• Members

Ok I got you. The PA my buddy has isnt enough to push te band so he never uses it. Thats why i was wondering about runnin through the cab i got. Its a Marshall 1x15" 250W at 8ohms. Or could I just run my bass trough the little PA into that Marshall without the stompbox? Our steel player has all the good stuff. lots of GK stuff.

Now you're getting into the effects of speaker sizes. 15's produce powerful low end, but often dead or muddy highs. 12's have a lot of punch in the midrange and can handle highs pretty well, but sometimes lack on the low B string. 10's have a lot of definition in the highs, and pretty good mids, but lack the ability to produce powerful lows.

Now there are other factors (like speaker magnet type and cab size) that can change these, but the above is a good rule of thumb.

As far as EQ adjustments go: flatten your EQ on your bass and amp (meaning 5/10, not 1/10) during your next practice. Put your amp at a volume that seems reasonable for the situation. While you practice, if you can't hear yourself in the mix, add mids and low mids, not volume. once you can clearly hear yourself, add or remove highs or lows until you like the tone you get.

A compressor can help even tone, but EQing a compressed tone can still produce unbalanced signal response.

Hope this helps!

• Members

Yeah man that helps alot. In lamens terms put everything in the middle on the EQ and adjust accordingly, right?

And again thanks aot to all of yall thats helped me out with all this stuff. sorry if I dumb. The only way I know how to figure this stuff out is to ask questions you know. And I promise theyll be more.

Thanks Again,
Jamey

• Members

Yeah man that helps alot. In lamens terms put everything in the middle on the EQ and adjust accordingly, right?

And again thanks aot to all of yall thats helped me out with all this stuff. sorry if I dumb. The only way I know how to figure this stuff out is to ask questions you know. And I promise theyll be more.

Thanks Again,

Jamey

This is a good place to be, lot's of knowledge around here :thu:

I think you would be extremely happy with the SVT-III Pro that Incubitabus linked to and an Avatar 2x12.

• Members

Does Avatar have a website or somewhere where i can check prices? Also this has nothing to do with rigs but do yall know where i can find a wiring schematic and what pots ill need? 500k or 250k? I know theres a volume, tone, and balance I just dont know where the wires ne to go for this set up...
CorvetteSTD8.jpg

This is the et up i wont to run on a little project im workin on.

• Members

UT OH, i just got and idea. How about i make a frankenstine cab? I can take the 15" sidewinder out of the Marshall and the 10" out of my Fender and build my own. I have 2 older big ass Peavey PA speakers in storage I can canibalize and use one of the horns and what not. But i still need a head. Or i could use the head out of my Peavey or Fender combo, huh?

• Members

UT OH, i just got and idea. How about i make a frankenstine cab? I can take the 15" sidewinder out of the Marshall and the 10" out of my Fender and build my own. I have 2 older big ass Peavey PA speakers in storage I can canibalize and use one of the horns and what not. But i still need a head. Or i could use the head out of my Peavey or Fender combo, huh?

It probably won't sound very good. Cabs are designed around the speakers for optimum sound quality.

Just throwing any speaker in any cab doesn't usually end well.

• Members

It probably won't sound very good. Cabs are designed around the speakers for optimum sound quality.

Just throwing any speaker in any cab doesn't usually end well.

I have a close friend that builds car audio boxes and im sure it uses the same principals. Its just an idea. I didnt say it was a good one. lol.

• Members

I wasn't trying to knock you back, just warning you.

Oh man, I know. Its cool. Its a kinda far fetched idea. All youre trying to do is help me, the last thing im gonna do is think youre doin that. Trust me man i take constructive critisiam good. I mean i play bass. we all get the short end of the stick and we also catch the most bitching.

Archived