Rig Questions

jj97blazer

• Members

Ok Im new to the board and Im wondering if yall can help me out. I play country and southern rock so I need a rig thats really smooth but with lots of "balls". What Im asking is what, in yalls opinion, should I think about getting? I want a stack. If there is already a thread with this info in can someone tell me where it is? I couldnt find anything when I searched. Thanks in advance.

Later

Jamey

• Members

Thats another thing I was wondering. Im not quite sure how much I want to spend. I was lookin at the Hartke stuff but I love to have SWR or Ampeg. I dont think Ive ever heard of Eden or Thunderfunk. I know what ever I get, Ill probably sell what I have now. I have a small Fender I can practice through. I have an older Marshall cab that I found in my parents barn. It has 1x15" and is 250W. It was part of the IBS series from 1984-1993. So I guess if it works and sounds good then I guess all I need is a head.

• Members

If you have a tight budget, start with the GK800RB or 1001RB, and MarkBass LittleMark II. If you have a better budget, look at Thunderfunk, Genz Benz & Ampeg's SVT(SVT series ONLY), as well as Trace Elliot.

For cabs, if your on a tight budget, start with Peavey's 210TvX & 115TVX stack, Low Down Sound(LDS), and Avatar's offerings. If you have a better budget, look at DrBass, Ampeg(Classic Series ONLY), Eden, SWR)Professional Series ONLY), & Trace Elliot.

When I got my 1st serious band, I moved up from my Peavey Basic 60 1x12" combo to a GK400RB head and a Peavey 210TX cab and was a VERY happy camper for several years.

• Members

When I got my 1st serious band, I moved up from my Peavey Basic 60 1x12" combo to a GK400RB head and a Peavey 210TX cab and was a VERY happy camper for several years.

I really like Peavey. Thats what I have now. Its 1x15" combo. The GK400RB Gallien-Krueger

right? I wouldnt mind having Peavey set-up. And from what I hear Gallien-Krueger aint no slouch. How much did the set up youre talking about run you, if you dont mind me asking?

• Members

I really like Peavey. Thats what I have now. Its 1x15" combo. The GK400RB Gallien-Krueger

right? I wouldnt mind having Peavey set-up. And from what I hear Gallien-Krueger aint no slouch. How much did the set up youre talking about run you, if you dont mind me asking?

also, buy used if you can. You can get a lot more for less $$$.

• Members

Gallien Ks are known for high build quality, clarity and being available for good prices.

You could also consider getting a stompbox preamp like a Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI, and a used PA power amp. You can get a lot of power this way and later on you can upgrade to a better sounding power amp if you want. This is what I plan to do, and you also get a solid DI with this method, although a good amp head would have a DI built in as well.

• Members

Gallien Ks are known for high build quality, clarity and being available for good prices.

You could also consider getting a stompbox preamp like a Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI, and a used PA power amp. You can get a lot of power this way and later on you can upgrade to a better sounding power amp if you want. This is what I plan to do, and you also get a solid DI with this method, although a good amp head would have a DI built in as well.

Ok excuse me if i seem a little slow, but your gonna have to explain that to me in a bit more detail. Cause that sounds like a way to go. My best friend has a PA head and i already have a cab but its all the other stuff that im not to sure about.

• Members

Ok excuse me if i seem a little slow, but your gonna have to explain that to me in a bit more detail. Cause that sounds like a way to go. My best friend has a PA head and i already have a cab but its all the other stuff that im not to sure about.

A bass amp head is comprised of a preamp, which has the inputs, tone controls and all that contained in it, and a power amp which drives the speakers. If you separate these things, you can mix and match them. The BDDI is a separate preamp built into an effect pedal sized box, which you then connect to either the PA mixer or a power amp, or both. Power amps generally have no controls except in some cases input sensitivity, so you can't really use them on their own.

374250.jpg

You need a stereo power amp like one of these, which you probably would be running in bridged mode(you want one which can be bridged to mono) to get the most power...but usually this means the minimum impedance is going to be higher so you may only be able to get away with using a single 8 ohm cabinet, or two 16 ohm cabinets. Also to protect it you would want to mount the power amp in a rack chassis, and if you're doing that, you could consider the rackmount version of the Bass Driver DI, the RBI. Or any other rackmount bass preamp for that matter. These options would cost more than going with the stompbox though, and you would need a bigger rack chassis to mount a preamp in.

Mackie%201400.jpg

• Members

Ok while we're talking about rigs, what would be a good pedal for me to ue with country/souhern rock type stuff? Ive always played straight clean and honestly i have no clue about the assortment of pedals out now. So any help in this area is well appreciated also. I did a search and all the pedal stuff is for guitar.

Thanks Again

Jamey

• Members

Ok while we're talking about rigs, what would be a good pedal for me to ue with country/souhern rock type stuff? Ive always played straight clean and honestly i have no clue about the assortment of pedals out now. So any help in this area is well appreciated also. I did a search and all the pedal stuff is for guitar.

Thanks Again

Jamey

compression would be my only suggestion. it'll help even out your tone.

• Members

Thanks Again

Jamey

You can use guitar effects with bass if you want, most of them will work fine. Some of them usually Tube Screamer type overdrives suck out the low end to keep distortion from getting muddy, which is fine for guitar but neuters a bass. You might like a compressor pedal. These reduce the dynamic range of your sound(loud sounds are made quieter, quiet sounds are made louder) and can make your bass sound punchy and add some sustain. I can't imagine much bass overdrive, delay or chorus being used on a bass in a country band, but feel free to experiment if you're into pushing the envelope :)

• Members

So I could get one of those SansAmp Bass Driver DI's (sorry but what does that stand for?) and run it through my buddys PA and into my cab and i would have an ok bass rig? and just to clarify this it would go...cab, pa, di, bass right?

DI stands for direct input. It converts your 1/4" bass cable into a balanced XLR (microphone) cable output that you can directly input into a PA.

Bass -> DI -> PA -> PA speakers

This bypasses any need for an amp or cab, but you lose a lot of your tone control to whatever tone-deaf troll you have working the PA mixer that night. most people do a combination of both. I think that SVT i linked you to has a DI on the back of it, too...

• Members

So I could get one of those SansAmp Bass Driver DI's (sorry but what does that stand for?) and run it through my buddys PA and into my cab and i would have an ok bass rig? and just to clarify this it would go...cab, pa, di, bass right?

The bass would to to the DI, which has three outputs. We ignore the parallel output, send the balanced XLR Direct Injection output to the PA, and send the unbalanced output to the input of a power amp(not a PA mixer) which then connects to your regular bass amp.

If you have reliably good PA at shows you play, and you can count on being able to plug into the PA every time, you can get away with using a smaller power amp, enough to monitor yourself on stage, and some people go without their own stage monitoring altogether so they don't need the power amp.

• Members

I think the compression is the one i was thinkin about. Thats what i need im sure. My lows are really loud and sustain a long time but my highs arent that loud and kinda muddy. Not crisp at all. At practice tonight i noticed that on my B E and A strings the first notes are loud a hell but from about the F down on the B string, Ab or B on my E string and the D on my A string werent very loud. and my D & G strings are quiter also. Do you think a compression pedal would do the trick? Well that and a little fiddling with the amp?

Archived