NGD: Kustoms and Firefighting

t3ch

• Members

So I saw an ad on craigslist for an old Kustom 2x15 black tuck n roll. The guy wants $80, and I start asking him all sorts of questions about it trying to figure out if it's working, the model, how stock/modified it is, etc. I mention my time is restrained on when I can pick it up between band practice and being on shift at the firehouse, and turns out he works with firefighters as his job and "has a great respect for them". So he says "ok, $25 it's yours". So I say heck yeah and get out there. It's been sitting in storage for a few years and was pretty dirty, and he said the last time he messed with it it worked....

The Good:

- The guy was pretty cool

- It's in good condition. There is some stuff on it I need to clean off but after I wiped all the dirt/dust off it looks nice.

- I got a FF discount!

The Bad:

- After plugging in my head (Guttermoutherey goodness), it doesn't appear to uh... ya know, work.

So it looks like now I have a little project to play with! I don't really know what I'm doing or looking for, but what better time than now when I have a new broken cab, right?! :thu: Maybe it's something simple. Who knows!

Anyway, here she is. (and please don't quote this entire post with pics included ;))

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

• Members

D'oh!
:o

:D

hahaha. that WAS my head ( awesome amp btw).

fwiw t3ch - open the back of the cab up and check the solder joints on the jack.alot of the times the will come loose,get hung up on the tnr and break the joints. the speakers in that cab are killer - and i'm betting it's a physical problem as opposed to the speakers being blown.

• Members

fwiw t3ch - open the back of the cab up and check the solder joints on the jack.alot of the times the will come loose,get hung up on the tnr and break the joints. the speakers in that cab are killer - and i'm betting it's a physical problem as opposed to the speakers being blown.

After being in storage for a few years I figured it could be one of many simple things like that. Who knows, maybe there's a poisonous spider nest waiting to take over my house around the wiring. I only had time to run home and take pics real quick before band practice. I'm gonna open it up tomorrow and take a peek; if I can't figure it out I'll probably post some pictures of the inside :blah:

• Members

in a slightly related, but not really, kind of story...

i was selling a motorcycle on craigslist a while back. the guy that eventually bought it and i were talking on the phone, he was trying to talk me down on price. when i mentioned that i was a veteran, he stopped talking me down and said he'd be there in 2 days with the full asking price.

turns out he's a veteran also...

:cool:

nice how things like that happen, innit?

:)

• Members

OK so some things are definitely disconnected, but the entire wiring job looks kinda shoddy. Then again, this is my first trip inside of any sort of speaker cabinet. The top speaker has a little dongle hanging off where two wires are supposed to be plugged in, but on the lower it's wired inside of the speaker where I can't really see it (the gold in pic). Is it alright to take the magnets off the speakers or will I break them?

I would've just put all the wires back in, but what's supposed to be plugged into the top looks like the end of the wires were torn/chewed off. Looks like I'll be making a trip to the shack.

IMG_0353.JPG

This is where all the wiring went to... two from the back jack (one on each side, red/black), the gold wiring that's straight to the metal plate goes into the bottom speaker, and then one on each side for the top speaker (gold/green).

IMG_0357.JPG

• CMS Author

First and foremost, don't take the magnets off!!!

It appears the contact posts were torn off the speaker frame.

The way things are supposed to look: two thin "tinsel wires" which are braided bare wire, should run from the back of the speaker cone to the back of the contact post. These are very thin and flexible, so the cone can vibrate without interference. The contact post should be attached to a tab on the speaker frame. Then depending upon the speaker impedance and the desired cabinet impedance, the wires are connected in series or parallel to the jack.

The tinsel leads can be really difficult to resolder to the post, but it can be done. If they are missing entirely, you should get the speakers reconed, which will have the added bonus of ensuring they last a good long time.

Looks like a really decent cabinet for its age. You can get vinyl repair kits to fix the small tears in the T-'n-R. and if you can remove the grille cloth it can be cleaned with mild detergent and a brush.

Agedhorse is a regular in Live Sound and has a reconing business among other ventures. He could probably give you suggestions on getting the speakers reconed, whether through him or locally. Some old speakers are commonly reconed, others may not have kits readily available. Good Luck!!

• Members

First and foremost, don't take the magnets off!!!

It appears the contact posts were torn off the speaker frame.

The way things are supposed to look: two thin "tinsel wires" which are braided bare wire, should run from the back of the speaker cone to the back of the contact post. These are very thin and flexible, so the cone can vibrate without interference. The contact post should be attached to a tab on the speaker frame. Then depending upon the speaker impedance and the desired cabinet impedance, the wires are connected in series or parallel to the jack.

The tinsel leads can be really difficult to resolder to the post, but it can be done. If they are missing entirely, you should get the speakers reconed, which will have the added bonus of ensuring they last a good long time.

Looks like a really decent cabinet for its age. You can get vinyl repair kits to fix the small tears in the T-'n-R. and if you can remove the grille cloth it can be cleaned with mild detergent and a brush.

Agedhorse is a regular in Live Sound and has a reconing business among other ventures. He could probably give you suggestions on getting the speakers reconed, whether through him or locally. Some old speakers are commonly reconed, others may not have kits readily available. Good Luck!!

AHH {censored} I TOOK THE MAGNETS OFF!!! Nah, I was waiting for a general idea of what I needed to do before going to town on it.

The "tab" is the little peice dangling from the bottom of the top speaker, and what everything is connected to in the wire-pic, correct? So I guess I Just have to unscrew the speakers, inspect the inside of them, and hope everything works when I hook up replacement wire?

• CMS Author

The "tab" is the little peice dangling from the bottom of the top speaker, and what everything is connected to in the wire-pic, correct? So I guess I Just have to unscrew the speakers, inspect the inside of them, and hope everything works when I hook up replacement wire?

The tab is just part of the metal frame with a hole in it for the contact post to attach to. What's worrisome is that the top pic appears to show that the contact post is MIA and the tinsel leads are attached directly to the speaker wire. This is a bad situation that won't work or work for long. A recone shop can fix all this if the speakers are otherwise in good working order.

• Members

The tab is just part of the metal frame with a hole in it for the contact post to attach to. What's worrisome is that the top pic appears to show that the contact post is MIA and the tinsel leads are attached directly to the speaker wire. This is a bad situation that won't work or work for long. A recone shop can fix all this if the speakers are otherwise in good working order.

Noooooo :cry:

Archived