Rebates -- why bother?

SB900LE

• Members

This is probably the last time I bother to look at the promotions from MusiciansFriend, Music123, etc., where you get instant or future rebates based on the dollar amount you purchase.

Why give up on 'em?

Because the list of brands excluded from the sale is so damn long -- the items I want are all excluded from the sale.

time-wasting, bait-and-switch sawmsa beeches . . .

• Members

I have no problem with using rebates, whether the send-in type, the instant type, or the future-purchase type.

But this is ridiculous -- too many brands are excluded from the "sale":

"*Some brands chose not to participate in this offer: Akai, AKG, Alesis, Allen & Heath, Alvarez, Ampeg, Andino, Apple, Armstrong, Atkinson, Audio-Technica, B&S, Bach, BAM, Behringer, Besson, Blackheart, Bose, Boss, Brio, BSS, Buffet, Bulgheroni, Charvel, Chauvet, CodaBow, Conn, Crate, Crown, D'Addario, DBX, Denon, Digidesign, Digitech, DOD, Edirol, Electro-Voice, Emerson, ENGL, Epiphone, Evans, EVH, Fender, Fossati, Fostex, Fox, Furman, Gemeinhardt, Getzen, Gibson, Gretsch guitars, Guild, Hans Hoyer, Haynes, Holton, Ibanez, Jackson, JBL, Jupiter, Kanstul, King, Korg, Kramer, LeBlanc, Line 6, Loree, Mackie, Mapex, Marigaux, Marshall amplifiers, Martin brass, M-Audio, Meinl-Weston, Miraphone, Morrie Backun, Neumann, Numark, Patricola, Paul Reed Smith, Peavey, Pioneer, Planet Waves, Prelude, Puchner, QSC, Reunion Blues, Rico, Rico Royal, Roland, Sankyo, Schecter, Scherzer, Schilke, Selmer, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, Squier, Stanton, Steinberger, Stephanhauser, Stomvi, SWR, Tama, Taylor Trumpets, Tobias, Toneworks, Vestax, Vito, VMI, Vox, Wilson, Yamaha, and Zildjian."

What's left? I don't care.

• Members

I don't like the whole concept of rebates. It's designed to make you think you're getting something, when, in fact, you're not.

Exampe: The Kia Rebate program! You buy a Kia for $15000, and they give you a rebate of $1500. Great! How about you just drop the price of the car 10% and let's call it a day?

• Moderators

I don't like the whole concept of rebates. It's designed to make you think you're getting something, when, in fact, you're not.

Exampe: The Kia Rebate program! You buy a Kia for $15000, and they give you a rebate of $1500. Great! How about you just drop the price of the car 10% and let's call it a day?

Because that would establish a lower selling price. That's exactly what giving a rebate is designed to avoid.

• Members

The rebate is offered by the manufacturer, not the dealer/seller.

Archived