• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
:D

"pictures of rig of doom"

It works.
;)

I've asked a lot of people that aren't very... um... well... let me say I haven't been inspired with confidence by the responses I've received to date. What is your impression of how the NV610 would do with a vintage V-4B? Enough power for sufficient stage volume with good grunt? For comparison, the 1x15" + 1x6" I have (using a Kappalite 3015) is perfect volume with the V-4B.

• Members

Why?

I have bpocall's Bag End 15 here. Have you played one? It is a much different vibe than your Aggies. I'm wondering what you are hearing in your Aggies that you are looking to improve.

I gotta try that soon.

I just want to down size my rig, and single Aggie doesn't have enough "boom" for me. So, I'm wondering how one 15 would sound, as opposed to two 1x12s.

• Moderators

I gotta try that soon.

I just want to down size my rig, and single Aggie doesn't have enough "boom" for me. So, I'm wondering how one 15 would sound, as opposed to two 1x12s.

The BE has punch, not boom. It might not be what you are looking for. You gotta try it out.

• Members

I gotta try that soon.

The single 15 Bag End I tried didn't have the bottom of your usual 15. That said, it's earthy sound had me droolin.

• Members
I've asked a lot of people that aren't very... um... well... let me say I haven't been inspired with confidence by the responses I've received to date. What is your impression of how the NV610 would do with a vintage V-4B? Enough power for sufficient stage volume with good grunt? For comparison, the 1x15" + 1x6" I have (using a Kappalite 3015) is perfect volume with the V-4B.

I would hazard to guess that if your 1x15" / 1x6" cab gives you enough SPL, the NV-610 will as well. It certainly produces more output per given amount of input power than the Ampeg 810 does.

My experience with the V4-B and my NV-610 in my band was that it just wasn't loud enough if I wanted to keep the V4 clean. However, if I ran it into overdrive it was plenty loud. I'll qualify that by saying that this band is very loud on stage, hence the SVT. :D

The sound of the V4 through the NV-610 was quite lovely, though... That cab was just made for old Ampegs. It's super nice with overdriven tones, not harsh at all. It has a very defined bottom end but I think that it really shines in the midgrange. It has a really present but clear and natural-sounding midrange. Unlike some cabinets with a midrange emphasis that sound boxy. It's much clearer sounding than the current crop of Ampeg 810s.
It can also handle my SVT on "10" no problem.

• Members

Both taken with my camera phone, so they're not that great:

0131082303.jpg

0130081836.jpg

The rack has an Ampeg SVT3-PRO head, a QSC RMX1450 power amp, a Rack Rider dual 12 band graphic eq, and a Furman power conditioner. The cabs are an Ampeg BSE410HLF and a Basson B410. Looking to get rid of the Ampeg cab and the QSC power amp for a more powerful power amp and another Basson cab (my band is endorsed by them).

• Members

Looking to get rid of the Ampeg cab and the QSC power amp for a more powerful power amp and another Basson cab (my band is endorsed by them).

How do you like those Basson cabs? They're heavy as {censored}...and IMO not built too well. I did like the sound of the 2X10 I played through, but it was the size of a 4X10!

Archived