Viva Analog 360+ - Acoustic 360 Clone?

Andy315

• Members

JC is a friend of mine... he is a great guy, also very busy. How long did you email? What address did you use? Give him a week or so to answer. He lives away from civilization, maybe he fishing or sitting on a mountain top thiking. If no answer in a week, I'll give you the phone number.

• Members

JC's a great guy I built one of his 360 clone kits comes with great docs. I think it was about 35.00 for the PC board and doc's if you have him build it it wont be cheep though. And yes IT TAKES FOREVER FOR HIM TO ANSWER his EMAILS but he will. he has 2-3 Emails on the site and some don't work so try this one if you haven't yet jc@lynx.net . :thu:

• Members

Oh damn...I emailed jc@lynx.com instead of .net....wow. Jannda you said you built one of his clones from the kit? How much was your total end cost minus whatever you housed it in? See I want a rack mount one so if I can get the kit for $35 and not spend a fortune building one into a rack chassis I'll totally do that!

• Moderators

The Thunderfunk bears no likeness to the 360.

The board and materials are not a significant investment. The only interesting part on the list is the 1.5 H inductor. You can certainly get someone to build you one for SIGNIFICANTLY less than 1.2k.

• Members
Over 20 years ago, Russ Allee, who designed the 360 and 370 amps for Acoustic left that company and started a new company called Amplified Music Products with a guy named Roger Smith. Russ had Steve Rabe, another ex-Acoustic guy, help design the preamp for the AMP 420 amplifier heads. The preamp section had an

• Members

Oh damn...I emailed
instead of .net....wow. Jannda you said you built one of his clones from the kit? How much was your total end cost minus whatever you housed it in? See I want a rack mount one so if I can get the kit for $35 and not spend a fortune building one into a rack chassis I'll totally do that!

I think my total cost was around 75-80.00 but I already had a few of the parts(resistors-Caps)but that would only have added mabe another 8-10.00.

I will say a few of the parts were a little hard to find but everything is availble if you look.

• Members

I think my total cost was around 75-80.00 but I already had a few of the parts(resistors-Caps)but that would only have added mabe another 8-10.00.

I will say a few of the parts were a little hard to find but everything is availble if you look.

do you remember where you found the inductor? or did you wind yours?

• Members

do you remember where you found the inductor? or did you wind yours?

I found one at a surplus electronic store here in portland it wasn't an exact match but was close enough I don't recall what the one that they is but the one I used was within +/- 1 and it seemed to work just fine. if you have a frys around they carry them but were out and weren't sure when they would have more in.

• Members

I've been wanting to build a 360+ for a long time, and I even have some 2N1306 germanium transistors for the fuzz section ready to roll. The inductor could be replaced by a twin T opamp circuit, which JC points out and used in one of his versions. Probably not quite as nuanced as a real inductor, but cheaper and easier if you're looking for such a solution. A DIY wind probably wouldn't be hard either, just remember to pot the coil to protect from microphonics.

• Members

I found one at a surplus electronic store here in portland it wasn't an exact match but was close enough I don't recall what the one that they is but the one I used was within +/- 1 and it seemed to work just fine. if you have a frys around they carry them but were out and weren't sure when they would have more in.

thanks man. i think i may have found some today actually. this is something i've been looking forward to -it should be a cool build.

• Members

I've built a couple of these and love them.

You can do it without the inductor. JC's original design includes an opamp-based gyrator that takes it's place. That's how I've built mine and they sound great! It's got my favorite fuzz sound, too! Cool!

~ Charlie

Wow it's the real Moosapotamus! Awesome website. Did you use TL072s?

Archived