Help!!

slosh

• Members

Can anybody help in identifying an electric bass I have?

The only identifying mark anywhere is on a brass plate covering the truss rod access on the headstock. This says "Kay".

It is a four string through body construction with a rosewood fingerboard.

It has PJ style pick-ups with four pots, two vol & two tone with a three way selector switch.

The shape of the body is similar to a Gibson SG and the whole thing is fininshed in thick clear laquer.

It sounds and plays really well, does anybody know anything about it?

• Members

Whoah....my first bass amp was a Kay my Mom rented for me, looked a lot like that but was a 15" w/tan tolex and a tweed cloth front....controls were on top-back, if I remember right, like my SWR Basic Black is now....

That Kay sounded ok up to about 4 on the volume knob....then it was ass for dayz, but it was ok for what I was doing, which was learning the entire Rock Opera Tommy....note for note....:lol:

• Members

Yo Fretless, how do you like the Gramma's? I'm thinking I might need one of them. Maybe it would help stop the bass going thru my floorboards so much.
:confused:

It would help somewhat . I like them alot , and when home recording I put them under everything , sometimes even in the windows :lol: For a bass rig I love it , I am pretty nutty about these things so be warned :p I think it does everything it claims to do . The rig pretty much always sounds the same and as you know every room sounds different , so with that plus the defined bass , and God bless if your geetarist has one because it cures that too much bass the guitar cab can sometimes have . I use them when ever I want to isolate something and always with the bass cab .

• Members

It would help somewhat . I like them alot , and when home recording I put them under everything , sometimes even in the windows
:lol:
For a bass rig I love it , I am pretty nutty about these things so be warned
:p
I think it does everything it claims to do . The rig pretty much always sounds the same and as you know every room sounds different , so with that plus the defined bass , and God bless if your geetarist has one because it cures that too much bass the guitar cab can sometimes have . I use them when ever I want to isolate something and always with the bass cab .

I don't have a geetarist :cry:

I'm just thinking about it for at home, my room is on the second floor and the floors are wood. :eek:

• Members

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/Kay/SG+Style+Bass/10/1

Here are some reviews of them, I can't see anyone with P&J pickups in theirs. Maybe it was modified?

Have you got any pics of it?
:)

I've read those as well, and it does not look like it was modified, but the really unusual thing is the thru neck construction. I haven't heard of or seen anything like it form Kay.

I'l get som pics up soon, (it's in the middle of a refurb)

Archived