Was I tricked when buying my bass?

Sartic

• Members

Hi everyone!

I bought a Fender American Jazz bass 2 years ago, that was supposed to be a 60th year anniversary edition, I'm not sure anymore though.

I was interested what my bass would've cost in the US, so I searched it and found out that the 60th year anniversary edition bass had more stuff on it than mine, and it came with a vintage hard case. I just got a regular hard case.

Compare these pictures:

My head:

67157248vx6.jpg

Other head:

33wx8.jpg

My back plate:

36116084rb7.jpg

Other back plate:

55rq5.jpg

My case:

14288941uf1.jpg

Vintage case (couldnt find the bass case, but it looks the same almost):

22kh6.jpg

I did have the little sticker on the back though, but how easy isnt that to glue there?:

22014820ps4.jpg

And my friend bought a 60th year anniversary edition strat at the same time as I bought the bass, and it has all the features that is on the pictures, and had the vintage hard case.

Appreciate your expertise!

Thanks,

Martin

• Members

Different years ? IIRC The case used to be a option so you could buy whatever case you wanted . I think there are several versions of these 50's 60's 70's basses, made in all the different factories with slight differences . I can't see the neck plate , what's that say ?

• Members

justinbass: It sounds awesome, but that's not the point here. I paid extra, and I've always thought that I had a 60th year anniversary edition, which I thought was pretty cool.

How much exactly did you pay if you don't mind me asking. This will tell us if you paid for a 60th or a regular USA Jazz.

Dan

• Members

I think it is , at least they were celebrating their 60th on your bass . With my quick and limited research it looks like in '06 and later they got a different neck plate and a diamond sticker so.... I would probably email Fender . Couldn't tell you if the pickups are different or anything like that but hopefully they can give you more info , it's not that old so maybe they have the specs .

• Members

What you bought was not a 60th anniversary bass.

The only differences you will see are the emblem on the headstock, and the engraved backplate.

The wood, finish, electronics, ect are all identical.

I'd go back and complain, but I wouldn't expect to get much out of the store unless you have excellent documentation about the purchase and a store manager that gives a {censored}.

• Members

willsellout: Well, bass guitars are much more expensive here in Sweden, but it cost me about $2150.

Oh sorry I didn't realize you were there. Sorry I'm of no help. I would honestly say that if you enjoy the bass, be happy with that. Email Fender and give them your serial number and ask if it's the bass you think it is, that's your best bet as far as getting a correct answer.

Dan

• Members

since its been two years, its really doubtful that the store is going to do anything. This is a TOTAL longshot, but MAYBE if you contact fender and tell them that there is a store mis representing their products, you MIGHT be able to get fender to contact the store about it. Also, go ahead and have your friend (witness) contact them as well

• Members

The presence of the "60" marks indicates one of 2 things:

This is an older model 60 anniversary.

The store, or a supplier, was complicit in committing a fraud.

The best thing to do, is call Fender - have the bass and receipt handy. I'm sure they can confirm for you the year of mfg, and also whether you received all of the required accessories with that model.

The bottom line on any purchase though, is if you are not happy, then return it to the store. Don't wait too long or your option to return is not present.

I don't know the laws in your country regarding returns, but really - if you're not happy with the bass, or you feel they should sell you the new model 60th as per pictures, then take the damn thing back, and make them swap it out with the current Fender model.

Edit: 2 years? Forget about the return man - you took possession....PRobably you got an older model 60, but call Fender to be sure.

You can learn from this experience - before buying, check the manufacturers' site, and other retailers as well - make sure you know exactly what the current model's features are, as well as any accessories such as case.

Examine photos of the markings and color schemes, and then go and make an informed purchase.

The fact that you are raising your concern 2 years after purchase shows that you did not do your homework prior to the buy.

Better luck next time.

• Members

Sartic

all pictures I find on Google suggest yours is not what you thought you were buying.

every Picture of the 6oth anniversary J comes up with the headstock thing and back plate that you dont have.

if you still have your original sales receipt and it states 60th Anniversay bass the store owes you the right thing.

if they ask why it took so long to notice just tell them you ran into someone who had the anniversary model and it was different than yours.

if you get no where with them Email Fender and see what happens

Archived