Stupid right hand question

Clear_Water

• Members

i'm kinda an amateur bassist, but where are your fingers supposed to be when walking the bass, or slapping it? The reason i ask this question is because where i normally play, i wouldn't be able to if i had a pickup cover on my j bass, so i assume i'm doing it wrong or something.

• Members

I lightly rest my thumb on the PU, if you have a chrome PU cover on the bass then I would try to rest the heel of your hand on the cover(or take it off). I move my thumb as I play higher strings. I do this to keep the attack angle the same on each string and to LIGHTLY touch the B or E string to help mute. You don't have to rest your thumb if you don't want to. Just try to o what is comfortable. Try to keep you wrist straight and don't put the whole weight of your arm on your thumb, this will lead to pain.

To slap I let my hand float over the strings so that my thumb is just below the last fret. I try to keep my fingers loosely curled so that popping is easier.

• Members

I may have missed your question, as for your fingers. Play for the sound you want. As you play closer to the neck your sound will have more fundemental (lows), and as you play closer to the bridge you will get ore harmonic richness( mids and highs) and less lows. f the PU covers is really in the way I would take it off.

• Members

i'm kinda an amateur bassist, but where are your fingers supposed to be when walking the bass, or slapping it? The reason i ask this question is because where i normally play, i wouldn't be able to if i had a pickup cover on my j bass, so i assume i'm doing it wrong or something.

You're doing it just fine.

Don't let a frilly cosmetic feature limit your technique-there's a reason most people take the pickup covers off.

:)

• Members

i agree with everyone else on the "play where it sounds like you want it to" and on the take the damn thing off! just one thing to add , (assuming your a finger player) dont be afraid to move your playing "spot" around, some stay (mostly) in one spot , but there are also a TON of different tones you can get moving your right hand position toward the neck or bridge a bit. cool for fills/effects or faster playing think Michael Manering, Geddy Lee, Mudvayne

just my .02

• Members

Oh, i don't have one on, i was wondering how people played with one on, and assumed i must have been doing it wrong or something.

For how I play, I couldn't have one. Some people like to play back by the bridge though, or rest their fingers on the actual strings rather than a pup like I do.

If it doesn't work for you, then it just doesn't work.

• Members

I lightly rest my thumb on the PU

I used to do this too, but then a few people said that was bad for your pickups and you should rest your thumb on the string above the one you're playing on, moving your thumb as you play.

I thought this was BS until my pickup started getting loose and I lost a screw at a show once. That's how far it came out.

Since then I play with my thumb on the string and haven't had a problem since. My pickup issue is probably rare, but something to think about.

• Members

I've found that lightly resting my thumb on the top of the pickup while playing the low E string, helps to achieve more consistent tone and attack, especially on 16th and 32nd note phrases; it gives me an anchor, which lets the finger muscles do all the work, rather than straining a muscle to "hang" the hand in the air.

I'm just saying - I've tried the "floating thumb" or whatever you call it technique, and I get more consistent results when my thumb is anchored, either on the string above, or the top of the pickup.

• Members

I used to do this too, but then a few people said that was bad for your pickups and you should rest your thumb on the string above the one you're playing on, moving your thumb as you play.

I thought this was BS until my pickup started getting loose and I lost a screw at a show once. That's how far it came out.

Since then I play with my thumb on the string and haven't had a problem since. My pickup issue is probably rare, but something to think about.

My pickups have built in thumb rests! :cool:

• Members

I've found that lightly resting my thumb on the top of the pickup while playing the low E string, helps to achieve more consistent tone and attack, especially on 16th and 32nd note phrases; it gives me an anchor, which lets the finger muscles do all the work, rather than straining a muscle to "hang" the hand in the air.

I'm just saying - I've tried the "floating thumb" or whatever you call it technique, and I get more consistent results when my thumb is anchored, either on the string above, or the top of the pickup.

No, I'm saying anchor your thumb on the string above the one you're playing. Not leave it hanging in the air. I've tried that technique too and I find I get tired fast.

Archived