Peavey Head Problems

Giddry

• Members

[RANT]

I got a Peavey T-Max head over the summer. It had been in a house fire and smelled a tiny bit like smoke but still worked great. I had zero problems with it until about September. For some reason one of my EQ sliders was shorting out and would short out the whole head. I got it fixed (twice) at my local music store and it worked perfectly for gigs and practice for a couple of months. On Saturday, we had a practice. I turned on the head and it started up. I plugged in and.......nothing. I couldn't get anything out of it. I fiddled with it for about half an hour while our drummer was still setting up but to no avail. I couldn't get a damn sound! I don't know what the problem is but I've gotta take it back to get fixed now. Luckily, we have an old Ampeg flip top amp in our practice storage as backup so we could have practice. I have no idea what the problem is but it's kind of upsetting. *sigh*

[/RANT]

• Moderators
How are the new tour series Peavey heads?

Not my cup of tea, as I'm part of the Mesa Brigade. I played through one for about 5 minutes last time I was looking for a head. I haven't heard of reliability issues and generally the Peaveys are bullet proof. If you like your Peavey head, but you're just throwing good money at it at this point, I'd at least give one a test drive at your nearest Peavey dealer.

• Members

I'd hate having to play you J through a fliptop.
;)

There is no reason you should be dealing with an unreliable amp. If you had to buy a new amp, do you have an idea of what your budget would be?

I could comfortably spend about $700 ish.

• Members

How are the new tour series Peavey heads?

One of the SWEETEST rigs I've played through was a new Peavey Tour head into a Tour 115 cab. That sound was so rich and full, just a real pleasure to play and hear. It really suprised me hom much I loved that tone, I guess I wasn't expecting much. GC usually has that head on hand, you should go try one out. From what I heard that's a tone I'd be very happy with.:cool:

• Moderators

There are a lot of amazing amps available in that range. Because you've had the unfortunate experience of dealing with amp failure, it might be a good idea to go with a company with great after the sale customer service, like Genz-Benz.

• Members

I could comfortably spend about $700 ish.

used something from genz benz

new gallien krueger something

mesa makes nice heads, not sure if they'll fit your budget though

peavey makes good reliable stuff. assuming it hasn't already survived a house fire, that is :D:D

• Members

I really like the Peavey Tour series, then again, I'm a total Peavey fan.

I have a Peavey Pro Bass 500 that isn't getting much use, I could hook you up with that for a good price if you need a head.

I might ask you about that later this week. Thanks!

• Members

i would open it up and make sure there aren't any loose connectors on the inside. i wouldn't be surprised if one of the many on the inside were not fully seated during one of your repairs and it took this long for it to work itself free.

if not, $700 can buy you a lot of amp.

robb.

• Members

i would open it up and make sure there aren't any loose connectors on the inside. i wouldn't be surprised if one of the many on the inside were not fully seated during one of your repairs and it took this long for it to work itself free.

if not, $700 can buy you a lot of amp.

robb.

Thanks Robb!

• Members

peavey makes good reliable stuff. assuming it hasn't already survived a house fire, that is
:D
:D

I think the house fire is the key - I've owned a Mark III, IV, three VIs, an VIII, a Firebass 700, two Combo 300s, and a T-Max - and currently own one of the VIs, and the T-Max, although one of the VIs and the VIII are still being used by friends, without any troubles... In fact, the VI I traded away has been doing service as a house amp that does the open mic thing twice a week... I've only had my T-Max a short time, but it's been reliable thus far...

Robb mentioned loose connections - the very few times I've had a Peavey amp act up, it was either that or a cold solder - and pretty easy to figure out and fix... Maybe that's all that's wrong with yours...

Out of all the Peaveys I've owned, the T-Max sounds the best, with the Mark VIs coming in 2nd - used Mark VIs can be had for $200 or less... If you like the T-Max, you'll probably like the Mark VIs, too - having a good cheap head for backup purposes isn't such a bad idea... Also, based on your liking the T-Max, I'd say that a used GBE 600 would be perfect for you, and way under budget for you - I'm keeping an eye out for one myself, actually...

Lastly, if you don't have a good DI box, I'd advise getting one - either the Countryman or the Radial JDI MK3 - a good DI box is invaluable for a bassist - and you *can* use one of those as a "backup amp" in a pinch...

Hope this helps, and good luck...

- georgestrings

• Members

Sorry to hear about these amp problems Giddry. :cry:

About 18 Months ago I was going through an old Peavy MKIII head which had served me well for years. I probably had to take it in for repairs on about 3 ocaisions during the 12 or so years that I was using it, but I think sometimes you've just got to bight the bullet and get something new...........particularly if you intend to keep playing indefinately.

I ended up getting my Eden WT800 on a great deal and then my GAS problem started from there. I ended up replacing all my gear for new Eden cabs, new Bass, new pedals............and I'm Gassing for a second Eden rig now. (It never ends!) :freak::eek:

I hope your hunt for a new amp goes well! :wave:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

UPDATE!!

The peavey came back last week and it was just a bad connector that wasn't seated properly. So hooray! I don't need a new amp! If it wigs out again I've gotta think about a replacement but til then WOOT I get to save my moolah.

• Members

UPDATE!!

The peavey came back last week and it was just a bad connector that wasn't seated properly. So hooray! I don't need a new amp! If it wigs out again I've gotta think about a replacement but til then WOOT I get to save my moolah.

That's cool - nearly every time I've seen a problem with a Peavey amp, it's been a connection problem that was easily remedied... My T-Max is treating me great, btw - tons of power, and killer tone...

I'm glad to hear you're making out OK with yours...

- georgestrings

Archived