What web-hosting sites do you guys use?

PaulyWally

• Members

I'm looking for a new web-host. Part of the website will be for the band... part will be for my own use. The main landing page will probably be band stuff... but I want to be able to create landing pages in multiple directories as well. And/or, have private subdomains:

www.MyWebsite.com

Pauly.MyWebsite.com

LugsMP3s.MyWebsite.com

Subdomains would prolly be more convenient. But it's not a deal-breaker. It would be really nice to have directory-browsing ability... as well as a fairly "loose" TOS. I do some artwork, and a nude drawing or two might end up on there.

[waiting]for the jokes[/waiting]

So what's the deal? What do you use? What's good? What's not? Horror stories?

Talk to me baby!

• Members

I use Godaddy. It's good, the support is great but I don't think I have subdomains on my package. It is possible to get them though.

I use subdomains on my Dad's companies website, but its hosted on an Irish server with a different host. I basically have the main site and a test subdomain. So I can make any changes with a site online but not visible :D;)

I heard some people here recommend http://www.asmallorange.com I've been meaning to check 'em out.

• Members

Kids these days.

When I was your age, we had to purchase our fractional T-1 line for our own dedicated server to place in a data center that treated you like you were a crook for being in the room in the first place.

384kbps baby!

• Members

Ever try logging on to bulletin boards with a Commodore 64 and a 200 baud modem?
:p

Ever run a Wildcat BBS with TWO lines that were costing you a fortune while punk kids where bitching at the messages boards about how you needed more lines because they wanted to play doors games with each other?

Or trying to remember compuserve user IDs by memory? I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.

• Members

Ever run a Wildcat BBS with TWO lines that were costing you a fortune while punk kids where bitching at the messages boards about how you needed more lines because they wanted to play doors games with each other?

Or trying to remember compuserve user IDs by memory? I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.

Haha! That's why I never ran a BB! I was bitchin at guys like you! :D

But boy was I happy when I finally got that 386sx with 1MB of RAM, a 100MB hard drive, 3.5 AND 5.25 floppies... and... a 2400 baud modem! :love:

Don't ask me what it cost. I don't like to think about it. But I did lease 100MB on a fractional for $30 a month in 1998.

Ah... the good 'ol days of computing.

• Members

Ah... the good 'ol days of computing.

When Kermit wasn't a frog, Gopher wasn't a rodent, Jughead and Veronica where together, Archie wasn't a comic strip and a "web" was something in a dark corner of your basement.

• Members

Hands down best.
www.surpasshosting.com

BUT. Let me save all of us some redundancy,
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1812855&highlight=host

Beat me to it. Was about to go find that thread. Thanks.

In the end I went with Bluehost, FYI. Not sure if the do subdomains or not, but I will be looking into that eventually as I will need a small personal site for myself, and the client I did that site for, his entire site (I did it in Flash) is only 313kb and he has 300GB of storage. So if I can set up a subdomain, then I'll piggyback my site from his and save myself some money. :cool:

• Members

In the end I went with Bluehost, FYI. Not sure if the do subdomains or not, but I will be looking into that eventually as I will need a small personal site for myself, and the client I did that site for, his entire site (I did it in Flash) is only 313kb and he has 300GB of storage. So if I can set up a subdomain, then I'll piggyback my site from his and save myself some money.
:cool:

ya after that thread I switched from godaddy to bluehost and never looked back.

I still get these beggy emails from godaddy once a week saying "come back! we miss you!"

• Members

In the end I went with Bluehost, FYI. Not sure if the do subdomains or not, but I will be looking into that eventually as I will need a small personal site for myself, and the client I did that site for, his entire site (I did it in Flash) is only 313kb and he has 300GB of storage. So if I can set up a subdomain, then I'll piggyback my site from his and save myself some money.
:cool:

I know it's only been a few months, but how are they treating you? I may be a diehard Surpass fanboy, but there's bound to be plenty of other awesome hosts; I hope you got one of em :thu:

• Members

I know it's only been a few months, but how are they treating you? I may be a diehard Surpass fanboy, but there's bound to be plenty of other awesome hosts; I hope you got one of em
:thu:

Happy. Very happy.

I had some issue trying to get Mozilla Thunderbird working for the client. I just couldn't get it talking to the mail server. So I gave up and called tech support. For one, they tell you where you are in line, so you know if the wait is worth it or not, big props there. :thu:

Once I got on the line, a really knowledgable, patient guy helped me. I am not computer illiterate by no means, and had tried everything and then some already, so I spoke his language on this problem if you will. So everything he suggested I try, I knew what he meant and could get into it right away. It was still a 30+ minute service call. :eek: Everything we tried, and I mean everything, failed. He got T-bird working on his PC with the mail account, and I even downloaded it and tried it successfully. But it wouldn't work on the clients machine for nothing. Eventually he apologized for not knowing what else to suggest and threw in the towel. He was defeated on it, as I already was. It was his conclusion that the clients ISP has some firewall that is causing the hold up, since 2 different people on 2 different ISP and PC's can get it to work, just not the client on his machine.

Then he suggested I ask if the client will accept their webmail as an option, or better yet, I set him up with a gmail account and have it forwarded there, and set to send/receive under his domain name email address. :idea: Sheer brilliance. Client is now happier with gmail than he was with Thunderbird, and now uses it as his primary email for all accounts, not just this. :thu::thu:

That is customer service for you. Bluehost has my $$ from here on in. :cool: They may be a tad more money than GoDaddy, but they earned it that afternoon, so will continue to do so as long as I need hosting.

• Members

So far... Surpass is in the lead.

They are the only site I've found that explicitly states that they'll allow the content I would like to have hosted.

WTF is wrong with this country when nude art becomes such an "evil taboo" that most sites won't host it?! :mad:

Archived