Snowblower

Thunderbroom

• Members

I got about 20 yrs out of my first which was an Ariens.Came time to replace it when it died last winter.This time I went with a Husquavarna.When the Ariens went lots went wrong.Engine,main frame,etc so it wasnt worth fixin.So far in general I like the Husky better but its still fairly new.The Husky has a 8 hp Tecumseh while the Ariens had a 8 hp B&S.The Tecumseh starts easier and seems to run smoother than the Briggs even when it was new.I also like the chute control better on the Husky.You just press down on the lever and push to either side.It also has an extended drain tube which makes oil changes MUCH easier than on the Briggs,The Ariens had a crank handle for the chute which is slower and just a pain in the ass in general.Hope this helps some.

• Members

I've a little 2 stroke Snapper with 20" paddles. It works, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything more than in city side walks and driveways. Gets bogged down pretty quick.

Something 4 stroke with a decent size engine to prevent it from getting overloaded. Powered drive wheels are nice if you get LOTS of snow. If you are looking at 8" of snow at a time at the most, anything with a quality motor and decent warranty will work. Purchase quality now, avoid paying repairs later, blah blah blah.

I want this one for the front of my lawn tractor. 42" two stage but that's close to $1500.

rpg_2stsnow_lg.jpg

• CMS Author

I bougfht an Ariens at Home Depot and thought it was the bomb....until I got it home and the damned thing would not run. Couldn't get it started for an hour. I finally {censored}ed around enough that it started, but was running so rich the muffler started to glow red. Something was {censored}ed in the carb, but who knows. Anyway, HD gave me a helluva runaround with it....they had a guy who did their service work, but I'd have to get it to him. At the time I had no way of loading it into my SUV. Long story short, I got them to let me have their rental truck free, returned it to a closer store (no store near me had any in stock), and I got a refund. Immediately went to Sears, bought a similar Craftsman for a bit less $$$, and have had it for the last 8 years without any real problems.

I'm sure Ariens is fine and this was an anomaly, but it gives you some idea of the problems you can have. I'd strongly suggest you look up a local small engine repair place that sells them, and give them your patronage. This way you can be reasonably sure that it runs before you get it home.

• CMS Author

I got about 20 yrs out of my first which was an Ariens.Came time to replace it when it died last winter.This time I went with a Husquavarna.When the Ariens went lots went wrong.Engine,main frame,etc so it wasnt worth fixin.So far in general I like the Husky better but its still fairly new.The Husky has a 8 hp Tecumseh while the Ariens had a 8 hp B&S.The Tecumseh starts easier and seems to run smoother than the Briggs even when it was new.I also like the chute control better on the Husky.You just press down on the lever and push to either side.It also has an extended drain tube which makes oil changes MUCH easier than on the Briggs,The Ariens had a crank handle for the chute which is slower and just a pain in the ass in general.Hope this helps some.

All good info here and exactly what I've experienced with the two engine brands. Tecumseh seems to have a better engine for snow blowers.

• Members

Forgot to say you should consider getting one of them canopy things or whatever they're called to hide behind.When the wind blows the snow back into your face it stings like a mofo.I've got a long driveway and parking area to clear so it usually takes about an hour and a half.If the winds blowin it really sucks without one.

• Members

I got the selling homeowner to throw in the blower, riding mower, and a few other things. What I've got is a Sears Craftsman 9hp, 29", with electric start and the optional all-weather hood to protect the driver. Seems to be only 2 or so years old, not really sure. Excellent shape, Very nice! Starts right off, is off of choke quickly, and with like 6 or 8 forward speeds and 2 in reverse, gets along at whatever pace you want. The hood sure is nice when the wind is blowing the snow back onto you, and we almost always have wind!

• Moderators

Go to your local John Deere/Stihl dealer and see what they have. They probably represent a company like Toro. For your purposes a smaller single stage 2 cycle will be fine. You just can't let the snow get too deep. The deep stuff is where the 2 stage models work well.

• CMS Author

Go to your local John Deere/Stihl dealer and see what they have. They probably represent a company like Toro. For your purposes a smaller single stage 2 cycle will be fine. You just can't let the snow get too deep. The deep stuff is where the 2 stage models work well.

Gotta disagree on the single-stage, at least in my neck of the woods. It doesn't have to be deep....just wet, and the single-stage bog down and stall. I've got a couple of neighbors who cheaped out on these and I'm tooling right along while they give up and get out the shovels. Of course, if you live in an area that mostly gets dry powder, it's all good......

• Moderators
Gotta disagree on the single-stage, at least in my neck of the woods. It doesn't have to be deep....just wet, and the single-stage bog down and stall. I've got a couple of neighbors who cheaped out on these and I'm tooling right along while they give up and get out the shovels. Of course, if you live in an area that mostly gets dry powder, it's all good......

With the exception of a big storm maybe once a year, we don't get more than 2-3" at a time. When it snowed 14" at one time the previous year, it was simply a matter of snowblowing while it was still coming down and going back out again when it stopped. And yes where the streetcrew comes in and plows in the driveway, it takes a long time to get rid of that mess. I'll take that over paying double for a 2 stage that takes up more garage space. I will venture to guess that in your neck of the woods in PA you get hit by heavy doses regularly. If that's the case it makes sense for you. If the Chicagoites get more than that consistently, then the 2 stage is probably worth it for them, too. I have both. The 2 stage at the office doesn't work on 2"-3" as well as the single stage.

• Members

TB,

I've had 2 stage 4-stroke Toro (electric start and wheel drive) for the last 15 years and it has performed flawlessly (with some maintenance every couple of years). The thing is that it was given to me by a friend who bought it new in 1975!!

Just used it yesterday and will use it again tonight! It is .....well.....a bull!

PD

• Members

I've had my Toro single stage/ 2 cycle for 8+ years and all I've ever done for maint. is put fuel stabilizer in it come springtime. It works great for every snowstorm we've had here in the last 8 years. Last week when it snowed heavy Thu night/Fri. morning I blew off the driveway at night and again in the morning, but only did it twice because I wasn't sure if I'd have time int he morning before work. My driveway is 135 feet long and 2 car wide for half of that and I can clear a 4 to 6" snowfall off it in 10 to 15 minutes.

It starts on the 1st pull everytime.....once I quickly figured out that you have to "overprime" it, the 2 to 3 primes or whatever it said in the manual aren't enough.;)

• Members

I completely love the really old ariens stuff. They don't have anything gadgety or "newfangled", just reliable heavy steel with basic controls. Even newer ariens and toro stuff is good. Avoid blowers from unknown makers like yard machines, noma, or anything you've never heard of. They can be impossible to get odd parts for.

• Members

I just got back from Home Depot & Menards. HD had none left. Menards had one left, but I didn't buy it because I'm not familiar with the brand.

Swisher Snowblower 627852x07A

627852x07A.jpg

Wide 27-inch clearing path deck

21.625-inch intake height cuts through drifts with ease

Powerful, quiet, fuel efficient Briggs & Stratton OHV Snow Series 11 Gross Torque engine

Heavy-duty 12-inch serrated, steel augers break up ice and chunky snow

12-inch impeller prevents chute from clogging by discharging snow at increased speeds

Freeze resistant recoil electric start provides easy start in cold weather

16x4.8-inch Carlisle X-TRAC tires for superior durability and traction in harsh conditions

Loop style handle for easy maneuverability while wearing gloves or mittens

Self-propelled, wheel drive system

Heavy-duty, 14 gauge steel frame

Long-lasting, adjustable skid shoes

High density poly chute rotates easily left to right

Manual discharge chute deflector

At $759 (which I'm not opposed to spending), it had better be a great machine. Anybody ever hear of this brand?

• Members

I just got back from Home Depot & Menards. HD had none left. Menards had one left, but I didn't buy it because I'm not familiar with the brand.

627852x07A.jpg

Wide 27-inch clearing path deck

21.625-inch intake height cuts through drifts with ease

Powerful, quiet, fuel efficient Briggs & Stratton OHV Snow Series 11 Gross Torque engine

Heavy-duty 12-inch serrated, steel augers break up ice and chunky snow

12-inch impeller prevents chute from clogging by discharging snow at increased speeds

Freeze resistant recoil electric start provides easy start in cold weather

16x4.8-inch Carlisle X-TRAC tires for superior durability and traction in harsh conditions

Loop style handle for easy maneuverability while wearing gloves or mittens

Self-propelled, wheel drive system

Heavy-duty, 14 gauge steel frame

Long-lasting, adjustable skid shoes

High density poly chute rotates easily left to right

Manual discharge chute deflector

At $759 (which I'm not opposed to spending), it had better be a great machine. Anybody ever hear of this brand?

Couldn't find out much more about it. One site, Northern Tool, had better pics. Briggs & Straton engine. Looks like 8.5hp on the other side of the scoop, in a zoomable pic I found. 11 gross torque? WTF does that mean? Nothing. Most deals I saw were for $825 for it, so the price isn't bad. It seems to be an off brand. I'm leary.

• Members

>STATSAt $759 (which I'm not opposed to spending), it had better be a great machine. Anybody ever hear of this brand?

I don't know if I would be a fan of all that plastic around the discharge port and without hands on with it, the stamped steel intake looks kinda thin from the interwebz.

With *large* purchases like these that should last 15 - 20 years, I'm a name brand whore. Not for the brand, but that they might still have parts available when I may need to fix something in 10 years.

Archived